Lara diagram1

Lara diagram2

Our first day of meeting began with discussion of procedure and the creation of the blog. We then read two documents, the M&M II Manifesto and Youtz’s piece. We reconvened and discussed the documents in small groups.

I found it interesting that some issues identified as problems in these early documents are still problems. A few problems have been resolved too, though, which is good to see. During our small group discussion, we talked about curricular issues related to sequences of classes, such as might be found in the sciences or perhaps art classes. Problem-based or Inquiry-based approaches are an alternative to linear approaches. I drew the two diagrams above (in chalk on a table – very messy) while thinking about how I have found I need to teach art history in an interdisciplinary program. The only time I teach sequentially is when I’m teaching summer school and art history is my primary subject. In regular full-time programs, I’m usually engaged in the first model. I don’t have any answers for the curriculum as a whole… I only got so far as to make the diagrams above to help me think about the issues visually. Ultimately, this may not be important- but it’s one of the products of our interaction and discussion today.

When all the groups came back together, we spoke of a variety of topics inspired by the readings. Some of the ones that still sit in the forefront of my mind are the possibilities of having some very basic and simple requirements for students to graduate, such as 1 year in a full-time interdisciplinary program. A few students manage to get their degree only through 4 credit classes (even though they are full-time students, not EWS) or Independent Contracts.

Governance and governance structures were also a topic of discussion, as was the way we identify ourselves as a series of “no.” No grades, no requirements, etc. Several participants reported that the Viewbook misrepresents what Evergreen is about and that faculty need to re-engage with how the college is marketed in order to improve some of the difficulties we are encountering.

I’m looking forward to reading transcripts on Tuesday… that’s our next research phase.
-Lara Evans