browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Talking Points:Asian Americans in the Twenty-First Century

Posted by on April 16, 2019

Asian Americans in the Twenty-First Century Talking points (1 per interview) 

Asian Americans as a Movement: Dale Minami 

“But I think the bottom line is they want to see a more equitable society, a society with a lot less racism—a society with people who are not spending their money on wars or military contractors, but on social services that are helping the people.” (Regarding the younger generation of Asian Americans. Page 15) 

America has been defined by wars. The fight for independence resulted in the birth of the United States, the Civil War brought the issue of race to the forefront, World War 2 made the U.S a global superpower, and protest against the Vietnam War reflected the aversion to U.S operations done overseas. What is America’s identity if we want to move away from wars? 

From Toi Shan to the Olympic Peninsula Gateway: Ark Chin 

“I always felt, certainly in the younger days, that I had to do more, be better, because of being Chinese.” (On being promoted to squad leader. Page 19.) 

A common sentiment that is still relevant today for Asian-Americans. There is a pressure to perform beyond expectations just to be accepted, and I think it comes from two sources. The first is the often-stereotyped image of Asians being work-focused and being smart. As a result, other people have those snap expectations before even properly knowing the individual. The second is the similarity bias, in which people prefer others who match themselves. There is always the sentiment of not being part of the group which results in having to “earn your place” as Chin mentions with having served in the Army. 

The Promise of America: Hoan Dang 

“That was kind of an unusual thing at the time for a Vietnamese family, to go through a divorce. It wasn’t completely foreign but more like an American thing.” (Page 27) 

There are some things that can be said about the fact his family divorced. One could be that individualism being promoted in America gave his parents the opportunity to act independently of one another. The assimilation of the dominant culture and its values is something that matches with the mentality of blending in. 

It’s About More than Hitting the Books: Susim Chen 

“In my mind the country is happening, everyone goes to parties all the time, wears beautiful clothes—no poverty in this country, everyone’s rich.” (Impressions of America based on magazines and movies. Page 31) 

For many third-world countries, the United States is lofty in comparison to their current quality of life. Being able to work hard leading to obtaining your own property, freedom, Democracy, and better living conditions make for an enticing carrot. Those images are an ideal that runs parallel to the dissonance between promise and fulfillment many politicians employ to get votes. 

No dating, Just Get Married: Qing Shan Liang 

“They certainly have high expectations and standards in selecting whom they want. But it is only the man who selects the woman. Women aren’t in the position to select.” (On Chinese immigrants returning to China to find a wife. Page 38) 

China traditionally places a lot of power to male figures of the family. The first son is the heir, sons carry on the family name during marriage, and as mentioned in the quote, are given the power to make decisions. From watching Joy Luck Club and reading The Good Earth, males in China are the ones that gain many benefits. The less said about bound feet, the better. 

Making a New Life: Frank Bai 

“But now with the Internet, it is much harder to keep things from the people. The politics of running a communist country is one thing, but doing business, that is another.” (On obtaining information in China. Page 46) 

The ability of the Internet to connect people over large geographic gaps is another catalyst to globalization in terms of cultures and the spread of information. I’ve heard about China’s strict censorship regarding their internet and how it is an extension of trying to control their populace. In one instance I’ve heard that Tiananmen Square is one topic that can’t be mentioned at all in China. 

Changing the Tide of History: Dale Minami 

“There was also some additional evidence that showed that they deliberately falsified some of the rationales in writing and they changed the wording and destroyed the originals so no one would know they changed the original justifications and submitted the revised, more palatable justifications to the Supreme Court.” (On finding evidence regarding the violation of the Bill of Rights towards internment of Japanese and Japanese-Americans during World War 2. Page 52) 

The actions of a government during wartime can lead to the implementation of unfortunate practices. Remembering the documentary that we watched in class, there was that propaganda justifying the concentration camps. With claims that the Japanese are safe, able to work and live peacefully, and that America is a kind master. That last point made me pull parallels to how some parts of the South remain adamant in claiming that slaves had good lives on the plantations. 

Into the Governors’ Mansion: Gary Locke 

“When I ran for office, whether it was for county executive or state legislature, I owed my success to all these other trailblazers who did a great job and who were respected, admired.” (Page 68) 

The type of things available to our generation and the current social rights we have can be owed to those brave individuals who fought to make such a thing possible. I have a personal connection to this statement as my father was a first-generation college student. Growing up working on a farm, he turned to education as a way out of that life which he did not want. It was his success that lead to him being able to immigrate to the U.S and without him, I still would’ve been in the Philippines. I owe a lot to my father for the sacrifices and hard work he contributed towards our family. 

Restaurant, Public Office, Even Bruce Lee: Ruby Chow 

“I was just doing it because I thought I’d better change my career, because it’s hard working in a restaurant and I didn’t want my husband to be working so hard.” (On deciding to run for the open seat. Page 75) 

Family and trying to improve its standing is not an exclusively Asian concept. What does set it apart is the veneration of ancestors and the family honor. While Ruby Chow’s case for helping her family was a more present concern, there is prestige in being the first Asian American woman to obtain a position in the King County council. In a way, the drive to improve one’s self is also an aspect of the American Dream where hard work leads to success. 

Grassroot Victories: Cheryl Chow 

“Being a Chow means you give back to the community. That’s what I grew up with—that’s what you’re supposed to do. A couple of people in the community helped my parents out, so because of that my parents have always given back.” (Page 76) 

There is a connection between this and the reading that we had by William Cronon titled Only Connect… One of the closing statements from that reading was that liberal education nurtures human freedom to better serve the human community. The concept of reciprocity resonates strongly with this quote and the article. The community helps create leaders and the leaders elevate the community that they came from. 

Marriage and the Green Card: Shamita Das Dasgupta 

“At that time the South Asian community was prosperous and the immigration pattern was educated people. Technically educated people were coming in and establishing themselves and prospering. So the idea of a model community was forming. Yet we didn’t know about women, what was going on in their lives.” (On forming Manavi, a group centered around ending violence against South Asian women in the U.S. Page 84) 

While race is an issue and subject of controversy, there should be acknowledgement for the female part of the population. The stories of women are one that was often hidden in the narrative of history. While most remember the Civil Rights movement as a significant mark of progress towards equality, there was also the ratification of the 19th Amendment giving women the right to vote. Of note was that the amendment was explicitly only for the ability to vote and nothing else. 

Building an Orphanage in China: Ark Chin 

“For many years our association has been run by powerful elders. They’re not officers but they have served as officers before, so they’ve become counselors. They became the power.” (Page 89) 

This brings to mind the National Diet of Japan which serves as their legislative institution. Often the older, more veteran members have a lot of power compared to newer, younger members of the Diet. While this arrangement is logically sensible, there are tensions between the old and new generations of the Diet. Often the main critique of the Diet is that the old members are stubbornly traditional which can impede social progression. 

Cowboy from Japan: Hank Sasaki 

“Country music is just ordinary people’s life stories, everyday life stories where people can share the same feelings.” (Page 95people’s life stories, everyday life stories where people can share the same feelings.” (Page 95) 

Country music is a genre I don’t typically listen to as I usually find vocals distracting in a song. I do like the aspect of music however in that it provides a medium through which people can connect. Though loneliness and sadness can be a theme in country music, finding someone else to share that experience with is a joy to have happen. I also appreciate how music can transition through cultural barriers such as with the fusion genre. 

Jimi Hendrix of the Ukulele: Jake Shimabukuro 

The thing I don’t like about that, though, is in this time of digital technology and instant gratification the younger people don’t put value on hard work anymore; they don’t put value on taking time to do something and spending years and years on trying to achieve something…” (About the downsides of the Digital Age. Page 105) 

Being in the digital age has conditioned a generation towards not having patience and having immediate access to anything online. Later on, in the quote, Jake mentions how this leads to younger people not having something they can truly have pride in. A lack of attention leads to less time to devote oneself to practice something and truly master a skill. Learning an instrument is something my band teacher has always said is valuable. There is a human element that a machine can’t replicate. While sound can be synthesized, playing a physical instrument, the tactile sensation of performing the notes, and audible feedback of improvement is one reason why learning an instrument is a great personal skill to have. 

The Fortune Cookies: Joann Lee 

“I guess looking back at it today, the best part of that was just doing it—singing the songs of the sixties because it was our music, it was just rock-and-roll, the stuff that made us happy, that brought us closer to being teenagers in a time when girl groups were hot.” (Page 110) 

The music of the sixties was definitely an important part of that era. As mentioned, the Beatles were part of that revolution of music that turned rock-and-roll into a global phenomenon. I would guess being able to party and enjoy music brought together different races and ethnicities who were all just looking for fun. 

From Laos to Iowa: Steve Thao 

“That general American dream is not very realistic for a lot of Asians. What they do, I think, is find their own American dream and success within their communities.” (Page 112) 

The ability to find success by the American dream as an Asian American is difficult. Despite steps made in the goal of social equity, there is still difficulties and stereotypes even when being hired for a job. That leads to Asian Americans to look to their community for support. Like an earlier interview about the men going back to China to find a wife, the social climate of the past made it difficult to fit in. Today I am of the opinion that society has become more inclusive over being equal. Accepting other people is easier, but that doesn’t mean we treat them equally. 

Harlan, Kentucky: Albert Lee 

“Growing up, I had a great deal of self-loathing. I wished I was white– I kind of felt like I was born the wrong way because I didn’t know. I had no conception of trying to think of the right way to say this. To me being white was “normal””. (Page 116) 

One of the things that are important to teenagers mentally is their self-image. There is a tendency to want to fit-in with a group. Another aspect is the concept of the imaginary audience, where teenagers feel that they are constantly being observed and judged by their peers. That pressure to conform especially as an Asian-American living among whites must’ve been difficult for many recent immigrants to the United States. 

Growing Up in Los Angeles: Daniel Jung 

For them, if I came and I just took over that business, my parents would see me as a disappointment because they sacrificed their life for me and my sister to have a better one, so for them to sacrifice their life and for me to do that wouldn’t be right.” (On refusing to take over the family business. Page 120) 

There is a parallel with this scenario and what happened with my father. On the opposite direction however, grandpa wanted dad to remain on the farm. Considering that my dad was the one that worked the hardest on the farm compared to his siblings, he really felt motivated to get out of that life. He still remains the sole source of income for the family, and I really want to make him proud. 

Portland, Oregon: Jeff Andrada 

“Most of my Filipino friends were my cousins. I didn’t feel like a minority growing up. I didn’t really feel that I was any different in elementary school, grade school, high school.” (Page 128) 

Word for word, this quote could be something I would say regarding my time growing up on the island of Oahu. Growing up in Hawaii is something that I was fortunate in not feeling like a minority. Our extended family is very large and every holiday was a time for the whole family to gather. I remember going to Ala Moana beach and we would just go out and swim. While I don’t miss the oppressive Hawaiian sun, being able to hang out with my cousins is something I wish I could do again. 

Growing Up in Hawaii: Jake Shimabukuro 

“There’s a strong sense of community and family and helping each other and working together, loving your neighbors and treating everyone as if they are a good family friend. You call everyone Auntie and Uncle whether you’re related or not.” (Page 133) 

This quote in particular made me very nostalgic. Calling everyone auntie or uncle regardless of relation is just another extension of making people feel welcome. The aloha spirit, greeting someone you don’t know with a friendly wave and a smile. I remember when we moved into a new house in Pearl City and my brothers and I would call the real estate agent Auntie. Later on, my family even treated her to eat out at a restaurant while she in turn often dropped by with pastries from a local bakery.  

Between Continents: David Tang 

“There was a whole lot more adversity in my dad’s life than in ours. In some sense I feel guilty because I never really had to work as hard as he did just to get where I am now.” (Page 139) 

This is a sentiment that I’m still grappling with internally. On some days, it makes me nervous thinking about how I’ll survive in the future seeing as I never had to go through the hardships my dad did. He actually was one of the top 10 graduates in the field of electrical engineering back at his college in the Philippines. When he arrived in Hawaii, he had to do yard work due to his credentials not carrying over and learning the English language.  

Cultural Anchors: Laura Jung 

“They have this idea that without education we won’t be able to succeed and do what we want here. Sometimes I feel I have a responsibility to them because they’ve done all of this for me to get here, so I can’t really let them down, so there is some sort of pressure.” (Page 143) 

Education is the great equalizer; it can’t be taken from you and you should be fortunate that you’re here compared to your cousins in the Philippines. While there is the stereotype of Asians being studious, smart, and work focused, I think that there is something to be gained from those qualities. In my opinion, I don’t think that those qualities should be exclusively Asian stereotypes as after all, any good parent wants their child to be successful. My mom always told me that the best thing I could give her was good grades and GPA growing up. That is not to say that she only cared for me based on my academic performance, but rather she wanted me to do well. 

Of Work and Family: Agnes Braga 

“Most of them are make, and it’s like their expectations of Asian women is being submissive—that it’s easier to get along with an Asian than a Caucasian woman—in the workplace and even at home.” (Page 151) 

In Japan the image of a shy, submissive woman is referred to the term Yamato Nadeshiko. This term refers to the pure, feminine beauty which is growing increasingly rare. In America, this type of ideal housewife is an image that is shared as well with shows such as Father Knows Best. To stay home and do chores while caring for the children with the father goes off to work is an image that still remains even as more and more women enter the workforce.  

An editor of Entertainment News: Albert Lee 

So I think I started out and kind of had aspirations of working in more serious areas of journalism, but frankly I followed where the money and jobs are—which is in the celebrity sector, the entertainment sector.” (Page 154) 

America’s overall obsession with celebrities is something that never really appealed to me and often find myself confused by. Hearing those stories of drug overdoses, drunken rampages, and other forms of shady activities have made me jaded to celebrities in the entertainment industry. Some of the things I see being reported in these magazines border on stalking territory which I find repulsive. While I’m aware that not every celebrity is that way, I have a general apathy in regards to most things involving celebrities. 

Chinatown, New York: Corky Lee 

“Oftentimes when they go and vote, there are a lot of obstacles for immigrants. One is bilingual balloting.” (Page 160) 

Voting is a powerful right to have and there are still methods implemented by government parties to control this part of the Democratic process. On one account by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, some of her opponents tried to change the location of where the voting would take place in a district as it was a primarily Hispanic district. Even when she had the location reserved in advance, her opponents tried to change the location a week prior to the actual voting date. The aim of such action was to make getting to the voting location inconvenient while also hiding the fact that the location changed until the last second. 

Of Japanese Towns and Cultural Communities: Dale Minami 

“Being in a Japanese American community was not thought of as the optimal safety net for you in case this thing happened again. It made you feel that if you were associated with Japanese Americans too much, the same thing could happen again as did during the incarceration in World War II.” (Regarding the aftermath of the Japanese internment camps. Page 164) 

The name Pearl Harbor should be familiar to those who have some knowledge of World War II. It’s a place in Hawaii where the U.S Navy based a majority of their Pacific fleet. On the day that will live on in infamy, December 7, 1942, Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, catching America off guard and sinking many of the ships docked there. The attack sunk the battleship U.S.S Arizona and led to the United States declaring war on Japan and thus “officially” join World War II. Living on Oahu, I’ve been to Pearl Harbor numerous times during my time as a Boy Scout. Every time I’ve been there, I would always see Japanese tourists observing the Arizona memorial and I would always wonder what they were thinking. How did they feel, staring at the sunken wreck that brought America to the war? Is it guilt or forgiveness that brought them there? 

Hmong Community: Steve Thao 

“What we’re seeing right now, at the root of our problems is families. In the early eighties you saw a lot of young people getting married for silly and stupid reasons. Now we’re seeing a whole generation of those people divorcing left and right.” (Page 168) 

Collectivistic societies versus individualistic societies is the recurring theme in many of these interviews of immigrants. The fact that success is measured in your ability to have a family is a traditional belief that does not quite work well with the self-sufficient, individual drive that embodies the American work culture. Divorces last I recall was at fifty percent of marriages ending in such. While there are many factors that can lead to divorce, this kind of event is devastating to family-oriented cultures. 

Vietnamese in Maryland: Hoan Dang 

“Now they work in the nail industry. Cosmetology. They do pedicures, manicures, and in Maryland they pretty much have a corner on the nail industry.” (On his Vietnamese cousins after immigrating from Saigon. Page 181) 

In Hawaii and in many other places, I’ve seemed to notice that nail salons were primarily operated by Vietnamese. I myself am curious as to why it was Vietnamese that were in charge of those places. I’ve never really found much of an interest in the cosmetic industry, but I’ve been curious to the people I would see in those shops going through downtown on the bus. 

Living Outside of Koreatown: Laura Jung  

“I think it is important to have a place like Koreatown. I think it’s good for the immigrants to have some familiarity and also for second-generation kids to get to know their culture and to experience the food and language…” (Page 183) 

Living in Hawaii, it’s difficult to really pin down a location that is distinctly Filipino due to how widespread we are. The closest approximation would be Waipahu where my uncle’s family lived. There was a Chinatown located next to Waikiki, but not really a ‘Philippinetown’. When I was younger, my parents would take me to Aloha Stadium and they would go shopping in the parking lot during Swap Meet. Those were always an experience, seeing many people selling their wares and being exposed to their culture through proximity. 

Claiming Space: Shamita Das Dasgupta  

“I want to make sure that when I talk I do it in that language and that I look like them; that they recognize me as one of theirs and they don’t the opportunity to dismiss me.” (Page 186) 

This brings to mind one of the facts that was discussed in the first week regarding the three B’s. In reference to how the younger generation viewed the older generations of their culture. Bamboo describing the first generation of Japanese as they did not break to the Americans; banana to describe their parents as yellow on the outside and white inside; and bees to show that they were multicultural. External appearance still remains an important aspect to how people are perceived especially when it comes to fitting in.  

Very Tough Times: Veronica Leung  

“After 9/11 there was always something; in 2002, the stock market did poorly; there was the SARS scare in 2003; then there was the blackout.” (Page 193) 

I remember the 9/11 attacks and felt detached from the event. Being seven and living in Hawaii, there was that innate sadness I felt when hearing about a tragedy, but my younger self never really grasped the severity of that issue. The general atmosphere in Hawaii was slightly tense but we never really gave it much heed except for observing a moment of silence during classes on that day. One thing that amazes me about tragedies however is the community response and outreach that follows. Our church had a month-long collection reserved specifically to helping the victims of 9/11. My cousin even enlisted in the Navy during the Iraq War. 

New York’s Chinatown: Getting Back on Its Feet  

“Those first few weeks Chinatown looked like a ghost town, desolate. It was very shocking. There was a military presence and a big police presence, too.” (Page 195) 

I never really thought about 9/11’s immediate impact on the surrounding area. It’s surprising how little I know about the nearby Chinatown being closed down in the aftermath of 9/11. Hearing about business not being able to open, people not allowed to continue their livelihood is sad to read about. There was also the immediate suspicion placed on anyone from the Middle East in a disturbing parallel of Japanese Americans during World War II. 

Within the South Asian Community: Shamita Das Dasgupta  

“One thing we found was that many of the men—even for a small infraction of immigration laws—were immediately put into detention or deported, even without notification to the family.” (Page 199) 

The Patriot Act, the Department of Homeland Security, the Transportation Security Administration, I remember those terms emerging shortly following the 9/11 attacks. They really did heighten paranoia and mistrust towards those from the Middle East. I remember being confused at the airport when they told us to remove our shoes and having someone pat me down. The war on terror allowed for the horrible treatment of other humans on account of ‘national security’. We can also look at when Trump implemented the Muslim travel ban to know that this distrust still has not faded. 

Reconnecting: Naomi McWatt  

“My father tells me that I really didn’t speak English until I started to go to school. Once I started school I began to learn English. I don’t remember that of course. But he told me I spoke fluent Japanese. And I kind of regret I don’t have that anymore.” (Page 203) 

The same happened to me prior to starting elementary school. My grandma only spoke to me in Ilocano (one of the languages in the Philippines) which made understanding English difficult. While I don’t seem to remember the moment that I gained fluency in English, my dad has said that I could talk with grandma rather well in Ilocano. I remember being in an ESL (English as a Second Language) class up until third grade. Like Naomi, I kind of wish I was more fluent in Ilocano. Multiple times I could hear conversations between other members of my family and they would laugh at something while I would be the one scratching my head in confusion. It makes the moments when my mom wants me to chat with my cousins in the Philippines over Skype very awkward and result in me saying little else besides hello. 

Marriage: Gita Deane  

“We had promised ourselves that with our children there would be no secrets and there would be no such thing as having shame. We didn’t want them to have shame about who we were.” (On coming out publicly. Page 215) 

I find it baffling how there is still debate over LGBT people and their desire to express themselves. It does not infringe on another person’s ability to function in society. Having a loving relationship is something to strive for regardless of race, sex, or gender preference. Using Bible verses to counter LGBT movements is also an abuse of the separation of church and state mentioned in the First Amendment of the Constitution. To paraphrase the relevant part of the separation of church and state, it states that Congress cannot make a law that is geared towards establishing a religion or a law that prohibits the free expression of any religion. This was in the purpose that it does not oppose the social duties of themselves and others. 

Being Asian, Being Gay: Albert Lee  

“I think there’s a lot of, frankly, self-loathing among a lot of Asian gay men, because I think a lot of Asian men ascribe a larger meaning to rejection and it becomes a rejection of them as an Asian in particular or that someone isn’t into Asians.” (Page 226) 

Being an Asian American, depending on generation already pulls people between two different worlds in terms of self-identity. Being among the LGBT spectrum adds another layer to that identity that further causes frustration in trying to keep a confident self-image. I think the problem is amplified for Asian Americans as their parents are very traditional with how marriages are supposed to work. The social climate regarding the LGBT community is growing more accepting but for those with Asian parents, coming out can be a massive struggle. 

Adopted, from Seoul to New Jersey: Karl Ludwig  

“But there’s that 5 percent that’s unfulfilled: where’s my genealogy, where are my roots with my medical history…” (Page 234) 

There were many stories my dad told me about the Duldulao family growing up. One of my ancestors served as chief of the village which is how dad justified that we (Duldulao) were good at being leaders. My grandpa was the head of police in another village. There’s even a road named after us that is one of the longest in the province. My great-grandfather fought the Japanese in World War II as a leader of guerilla fighters. We even still have the house that the Duldulao’s owned which was occupied by the Japanese during the Second World War. There is a lot of history when it comes to my Filipino heritage and I’m fortunate to experience that whenever we go to the Philippines. 

Found: Kristen Houghton  

“It’s not like they won’t let go of me but I don’t know what part of me they want, because the part of me that they remember has long gone.” (On trying to reconnect with her Korean sibling. Page 242) 

My mom tries many times through Skype to get me to talk with our relatives in the Philippines. Unlike Kristen though, there was not really a feeling of strain when it came to trying to talk with them as they remember me fondly for the brief times my family would visit the Philippines. They remember me a something of a joker, a comedian, and it’s an image I don’t mind upholding. At times though, I find myself wishing I was better able to connect with them. There’s even guilt that I feel when a relative from the Philippines recognizes me and I don’t even know who they are. I didn’t even know who my godmother was until we went to Canada during my sophomore year of college. 

Of Personal Challenges and Triumphs: Ark Chin  

“I said, No–if I say no she loses face, and he said, Oh, we in Hong Kong are very modern. You just go have tea and if you don’t like each other, fine, you just walk away from each other.” (On debating to meet a girl as a marriage prospect. Page 250) 

This quote is a rather humorous contrast of courtship rituals that Chin had to go through, being in China. His grandmother was the overbearing, matchmaking type, with a line of prospects, interviews, and resumes making the affair a formal one. This is a reflection of the poor, rural village and the need for a young woman to attach herself to a rich man for financial stability. In the city of Hong Kong, Ark’s interaction with Winnie was a casual one and without the pressure of tradition. This reflected both parties being in a modern setting, where finances were not an issue and both were educated. 

Journeys of Self Discovery: Candace Chin  

“There’s kind of this sensibility being an American and being born in the United States; there’s just an aura and a way of being as an American. It’s about being fast, really kind of out there, quick at getting things; whereas in China the pace is kind of different.” (Page 255) 

Living in Hawaii, there was always this sense of slowness. Being laid-back, relaxed, and easy-going was something that I felt in the air. There was an aura to living in Hawaii that just made me think things were moving in slow motion. My speech was also heavily influenced by pidgin and local slang which I’ve since eliminated by my senior year of high school. Eventually, after many drives around the island, Oahu felt small, cramped, and non-changing. I developed what I would call island-sized cabin fever and was quick to join my dad when he asked if I wanted to move in with him in Oregon. 

Hapa with Strong Chinese Roots: Sasha Pratt  

“When I’m with my Chinese family eating Chinese food and hearing Chinese language the values that come with my Chinese side are very important to me. My favorite seasonings are soy sauce and sesame oil. When I eat it I feel a part of my mom or my Chinese-ness.” (Page 260) 

Lumpia, pancit, adobo, arroz caldo, and halo-halo are Filipino dishes that I grew up eating and enjoying. These dishes are one way I get to feel connected with my Filipino roots. Growing older, I fear that I’ll lose my connection with my heritage when my parents pass away. I’ve recently taken to asking my parents how to cook these dishes. Cuisine I feel is a topic that there really is no tension for when it comes to other cultures. To this day, food still brings people together regardless of boundaries.