header image

Song Cover: Mori no Kioku

I was 14 years old when I first watched the movie Origin: Spirits of the Past. It’s a Japanese film about a dystopian world taken back by the Earth. And while the world is fantastic to watch, the opening song has stuck with me the most.
I first looked for this song after I had had a fight with my parents. I’m not sure why, but for some reason just listening to the piano play in the background, the swaying sound of the singers’ voices, and even the numbers that are being counted brought me some peace.
For years I listened to these women sing. Even watching the opening scene that it was composed for, seeing our world attacked, and then cracked through by tangled red and green dragons, seem to, somehow, bring me peace.
I never understood what was being said. Even to this day, I only listened to the music and the passion in their song, not the words that they were saying. I’m not sure why I never stopped to listen. Perhaps it’s their message that really carries my spirit with them and why I love the song so much. Then again, if I do listen, will the song still have the same depth as it has?
After a couple of years, the original video that I used to listen, and watch was banned in the U.S. and I was unable to gain access to a full copy anymore. For three years, I couldn’t watch or listen to the song that depicted the world ending and somehow it slowly started to break mine. Without it, I would just sit in muteness when I was sad or try to find something that calmed me, but nothing ever seemed right.
Finally, by the time I turned 19, it was available again. The original poster had made it accessible once more and I finally got to hear their voices again.
3 25 15 21 23 1

~ by Angelica Perez on April 9, 2019 . Tagged: