header image

D&R: Aladdin’s Origin and Backlash

Romano, Aja. “The Fraught Cultural Politics of Disney’s New Aladdin Remake.” Vox, Vox, 24 May 2019, 16:40.

Shakeri, Sima. “Disney Criticized For Casting An Indian Woman As Princess Jasmine.” HuffPost Canada, HuffPost Canada, 17 July 2017, 16:02.

I love the movie Aladdin for years. Jasmine wasn’t my favorite princess, but I loved singing the songs and watching the movie after school or while eating dinner with my family. With the upcoming Aladdin remake already here, I’m a bit worried and excited to see how it turns out. So far film itself looks alright, other than the shade of blue chosen for the genie, but a bigger problem that is happening is the choice to not have an all Arabian cast or at least in the lead roles.

Naomi Scott, while British and Indian, seems like a shot in the dark actress pick that “fits,” I have a feeling that the movie will suffer for not being Middle Eastern.

I plan on seeing the movie soon to see for myself how well the movie does, but so far, everyone seems angry at this Disney Princess.

~ by Angelica Perez on May 24, 2019 . Tagged: ,

2 Responses to “D&R: Aladdin’s Origin and Backlash”

1.   Alyssa Says:

I am excited to see this movie as well. Im not sure if it will live up to everyones expectations but worth a shot. I agree with the second article that people were just happy to not see a white face as the lead. Hopefully they can accurately portray the story and not have any issues.

2.   AJ Duldulao Says:

The new Aladdin movie makes me think about why the sudden interest in resurrect previous movies for the modern age. Knowing that nostalgia is the primary reason, what will be the reaction to audiences who never seen the previous versions?