D&R: Its Not Just Hair

Cultural appropriation has been a topic of debate in recent years, and with the fast-paced world of the internet, more people are being placed on the spotlight for their mistakes and Korean native youtuber Sophia is the most recent big Korean personality to be called out.

Recently in Korean entertainment and in other cultures, the appropriation of African hairstyles like Braids, Box Braids, Dreads, and Corn Rows has been trending with Idols and artists alike. If this was something that would have been done 10 years ago repercussions probably might not have been called out of even noticed however with how powerful social media is this has changed. quickly people started to attack Sophia for her hairstyles and the way she incorrectly used “reggae hair” to refer to African hairstyles. In this video, she responds to those comments.

Sophia starts the video by saying that she is going to talk about the history and background of the hairstyles followed by her completely taking out her box braids. This video overall is wonderful because she did her research on the discrimination that Black people get in America and in other countries for having Box Braids, and she acknowledges her mistakes and where she went wrong.

She seems like she is never doing it again, and will stop doing hairstyles that appropriate.

This serves a lesson to other people and other cultures and races that it is extremely simple to do research and to accept that some things just aren’t up for debate.

Thanks!

Omar

Hi my name is Omar

You may also like...

4 Responses

1. Karen says:

This is powerful stuff. I remember sitting on the transit once and an African American woman was explaining to a white girl why her dreads were offensive and even offered to help her take them out; the white girl only responded, “Look, I care about your culture and agree with you! But the dreads are staying.” If you understand the history, why are you indulging in someone else’s culture? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It’s great that this young woman was able to learn and recognize her mistake and promptly taking action. Great D&R!

2. Isaac says:

It’s kinda interesting to think about how globalization is affecting the oppression of peoples all around the world. Like 30 years ago how could someone in Korea participate in cultural violence against African-Americans more than an ocean away?

3. Angelica Perez says:

Hi Omar,
    I remember watching a video a while back (I hope it’s deleted or reported now because JESUS) about a woman claiming that so long as you weren’t white, you could indulge in any culture with no consequences of any kind. She had dreadlocks in her hair, was wearing A KIMONO, and had the pastest white skin you would ever see. Disgusting how the world works out sometimes. I’m glad to see that at least this YouTuber is willing to make a change.

4. Toan says:

I really liked your closing statement “This serves a lesson to other people and other cultures and races that it is extremely simple to do research and to accept that some things just aren’t up for debate.” and I completely agree. While some people may view it as “just a hairstyle”, you should have to take into consideration how some people were treated for wearing the same thing in the past and how it wasn’t just a ‘fashion statement’ or ‘a trend’ for them.