MonthApril 2019

Talking Points: The Chinaman Pacific & Frisco R.R. Co.

Railroad Standard Time

• “Words I’d never heard before set me at play in familiar scenes new to me, and ancient.” (pg 1) I thought this was a very powerful way to describe the experience of listening to his mother’s Chinese. Even though I’ve never had this kind of experience, the language used helps me understand what it might feel like to be confronted with something that you know is a large part of your family’s history and culture and be unable to understand it the way they do.
  • “So this dance and groggy mumbling about the watch being no good, in strange English, like an Indian medicine man in a movie.” (pg 2) Why did she start acting funny when he asked her what her father’s name was? And what did that have to do with the watch being “no good”? She said something about her father’s name being “one of those Chinese names…” (pg 2), so was she thinking that the watch didn’t have value because her father was Chinese or something like that?

Continue reading

Project Update: Preliminary Resource List

BOOKS:

https://alliance-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo-explore/fulldisplay?docid=CP71103027910001451&context=L&vid=EVSC&search_scope=tesc_alma_summit&tab=alma_search_tab&lang=en_US

This book is called “America’s world identity : the politics of exclusion” and it looks like it examines American national identity in the context of things like racism and sexism. I think this could have a lot of good background info for me that could help inform which areas of history and culture to look at the most in relation to superhero comics.

https://alliance-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo-explore/fulldisplay?docid=CP71268014490001451&context=L&vid=EVSC&search_scope=tesc_alma_summit&tab=alma_search_tab&lang=en_US

This book is called  “Enter the superheroes American values, culture, and the canon of superhero literature” and it looks like it deals a lot with superhero media in relation to fans and the history of superhero comics in general. I’m especially interested in this book for the sections on fandom and diversity, but all of these sections look potentially useful to my project.

Continue reading

Week 4 Class Notes

Continue reading

Disorientation and Reorientation #2

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/59vka8/mia-yamamoto-lawyer-transgender-history?fbclid=IwAR1mB5lFA2_UHe9v6SuuyX0U5gibFhHF0oIidVQk2GfwncuJfRNyhlfDyTs

I thought this was an interesting and inspiring article. At first glance it seems to be mostly about her experience as a trans woman rather than as a Japanese woman, but then she mentions that she was born in the internment camps and suddenly you can see how it informs both her need for bringing justice and her compassion for marginalized groups such as homeless trans youth as well as other ethnic groups. There was one point in the article that I was a little leery about at first, where she says “I am Muslim, I am a Jew, I’m Black…”, but I think she meant it as a “I relate to their struggles because of my own experiences and I stand by them in the face of adversity” rather than that she is literally part of those groups because she interacted with and assisted members of those groups in the past.

I was surprised when she was describing her experience with coming out as trans to her colleagues and clients, because she says she didn’t have many issues and most people were fine with it. At first I assumed that she must have had people who were awful about it and just wanted to forget or gloss over how bad it was, but I think part of the reason I thought that is because the narrative around coming out as trans always involves lots of resistance and hatred. While such hatred might unfortunately still be common, it isn’t the only reaction possible, and I think it’s important to remember that.

Talking Points: Seventeen Syllables and Other Stories

The High-Heeled Shoes: A Memoir

• I had a hard time understanding what was going on at first when the narrator said she saw a man wearing high heels and was so disturbed about it, so I had to reread it to figure out that the man was completely naked and trying to get her to join him. This made a lot more sense, because I was wondering what it had to do with harassment and rape.
  • On page 5, she describes all the things she wishes she had said to Tony during his perverted phone call and her analysis of how each response would have sounded. As someone with anxiety and who has been catcalled increasingly often in the past year and a half, this part was very relatable and very accurate to how it feels when you wish you spoke up and defended yourself properly rather than letting it “slide” just because it’s so awkward and startling.

Continue reading

Week 3 Class Notes

Continue reading

Project Update 1

I’ve decided to do my project on representation -and lack thereof- in superhero-related media such as cartoons, comics, and movies. I chose this topic because superhero media extremely popular right now due to things like the Marvel and DC cinematic universes, and that popularity can sometimes obscure problematic themes and ideas that crop up in media and negatively influence our culture.

I plan to explore this topic through examining Asian American representation in Marvel and DC products (including movies, cartoons, and comics). This will potentially include any differences in character backstory between media, such as characters who were whitewashed in an adaptation, characters who were turned into racist caricatures or changed from being racist caricatures to being 3 dimensional characters, etc. I may also look at any racism and related backlash that characters and/or their actors experienced from comic book fandoms.

I know I’m probably going to find a lot of misrepresentation or no representation at all, so I was also considering creating a few “examples” of Asian American characters that are handled more respectfully, but I’m currently unsure of how I would go about doing that for this project.

Disorientation and Reorientation #1

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-uncomfortable-truth-about-affirmative-action-and-asian-americans

It kind of bothered me a little bit that the author didn’t actually clearly define affirmative action anywhere that I could see, but I also noticed that it kind of seemed like they were saying that having a disproportionate number of Asian people is bad because there isn’t enough diversity, but having a mostly white people is fine because they’re the majority demographic in America. That part didn’t really make sense to me.

Also, I’d rather admissions people would choose people based on merit rather than saying “We have to have a certain number of these demographics but the rest can be white!”, which is what I think the author is saying seems to happen, which doesn’t seem fair to anybody. My understanding of affirmative action is that it’s meant to prevent admissions people from discriminating against people of color and favoring white people, but it seems like in practice it’s more like the way the author describes, where they’re just meeting a quota and paying lip service to the fact that they’re “diverse”.

Talking Points: Asian Americans in the Twenty-First Century

Dale Minami 

• Talks about how people “aren’t angry anymore’ about racism (in comparison to how things were in the 60s). (pg 11) He says that people today are more focused on empowerment and financial success. (pg 12)I agree that, especially in America, there is a big emphasis on empowerment of individuals and the collective community. However, judging by what I’ve seen and heard, I would argue that people are probably still angry, but are tired and disheartened by the fact that racism and other social issues are still happening after decades; even though America touts itself as this great place of freedom and individuality, there’s still a lot of stigma around being yourself rather than conforming to society, which includes appreciation of other cultures that is not from a pre-approved white male perspective.

Continue reading

Potential Project Topics

1.  I could do my project on representation (and/or misrepresentation, and/or lack-thereof) in superhero-related media such as cartoons, comics, and movies. This is of interest to me because superheroes have been around for a long time beginning with comic books, so you can see a lot of the attitudes of the times reflected in the media. Since those attitudes often included casual racism, I think it’s important to see how later creators handled race and whether or not those attitudes are still being perpetuated, inadvertently or otherwise. This would also give me an opportunity to look at any Asian-American creators in the superhero genre and how they’re treated.
  2. I could do my project on Asian Americans who should be famous but aren’t, and/or Asian Americans who are famous but aren’t widely acknowledged as Asian Americans for whatever reason. This topic would be of interest to me because there’s a lot of people, such as famous actors, that I had no idea what their ethnicity was and was surprised to find out that they weren’t white like I assumed. This would also presumably give me a chance to examine why assuming the default ethnicity of pale skinned people is white is a problem.
  3. I could do my project on how Asian media such as video games and anime has influenced American culture and whether or not that has inspired more Asian Americans to become content creators. This is of interest to me because I know there are a lot of video games and anime that are still really popular and have been for decades, such as the Pokemon and Dragon Ball franchises, and it would be interesting to see how that kind of media has shaped my generation’s attitudes and preferences for content.

© 2024 Sarah's A-POP Blog

Theme by Anders NorénUp ↑