Disorientation and Reorientation #5

https://asamnews.com/2019/05/10/chindian-relationships-show-that-there-is-more-to-mixed-relationships-than-just-asian-and-white/

I thought this article was interesting, and it brings up what I think is an important topic right in the first few sentences; media often focuses very heavily on white relations with minorities rather than minorities with each other. I was thinking about it as I read the article, and it made me a little angry, because the more I think about it, the more it feels like white people tend to think of things in terms of white vs other, which not only dehumanizes other races, but makes them feel interchangeable. There’s no point in defining interracial relationships as anything other than Asian and white, or black and white, or “Mexican” (Latinx) and white, because they’re all minorities and therefore all interchangeable, right? It’s like when they call all Asians with the C-slur because they assume they’re all Chinese, or don’t care whether or not they’re actually Chinese because they don’t consider them human anyway.

Also, the end of this article is hopeful and positive, and serves to remind readers that relationships should be about love, not about what race you are. I feel like many people don’t understand or care about whether there’s actually love involved, and I think that tends to hurt society as a whole.

2 Comments

1. Angelica Perez

June 2, 2019 at 10:06 PM

Sarah, I’m a bit confused why you’re angry at this article. AsAmNews is a site that celebrates Asian and Pacific Island Americans, not to bash them or show them as less than. The article is about notifying others of this new community that is being made thanks to Indian and Chinese Americans being together and asking for others to join them.
    As someone who is in an interracial relationship, these kinds of platforms are very welcoming and important to me. I’ve had total strangers to my own family members accuse my boyfriend of “stealing one of our women.” It’s annoying and disgusting and I’m happy that the couple in the article are making a community for themselves and others.
    I’d suggest rereading the article and the D&R you wrote.

• Sarah

June 2, 2019 at 11:31 PM

Oh, no! I wasn’t angry at the article or the news site! I thought the article itself was really sweet!

I was angry because reading this article made me realize that most media is controlled by white people and only focusing on white perspectives rather than actual diversity! Sorry, I didn’t make that clear enough!