Academic Statement

Walking to Santiago de Compostela was the first program I enrolled in at Evergreen State College. What does walking across northwestern Spain have to do with my pursuit of a medical degree? Well quite honestly, this program was supposed to be completely irrelevant to my area of emphasis. While there are numerous things I have learned from studying abroad, perhaps the most important is the ability to step out of my comfort zone. Never before had I considered myself an outdoors type of person. Did I mention I had never gone on a hike before? Choosing to walk 500 miles with a pack on my back for the first time was out of character for me. I didn’t know the first thing about hiking. My first walk on the Camino was climbing up a mountain! I pushed myself physically in a way I had never experienced before. With sweat dripping down my back and feeling short of breath, I asked myself “What the hell am I doing? This is nonsense.” I quickly learned that persistence will carry me further than focusing on my physical suffering. After all, shoulder tension, blisters, and tendinitis are some perks of the package deal on the camino. Spring quarter was also my first time traveling outside of the United States. I recall feeling slightly disappointed the first time I ordered a ham sandwich at a bar in Spain. I was given just that, ham between two pieces of stale bread. As the weeks progressed, I began to better understand the Spanish way of life through listening and observation. For example, I didn’t understand why the locals were so intrigued by my feet. Every time I walked around cities, my pastel pink pedicure would attract the attention of at least 10 people. When I started looking around, I realized not a single person wore shoes with bare feet. The women always dressed stockings with open toed shoes.Indeed, European culture is very different from the United States. Being on the Camino also allowed me to meet people from all corners of the world!

When I initially enrolled to pursue a BA, I was reluctant to embrace all the changes necessary to achieve my long term goal. One important realization is that throughout my journey towards becoming a physician’s assistant, there are going to be many times where I am required to step out of my comfort zone; whether it be performing a patient exam or giving an injection for the first time. Feeling out of one’s element is the first step towards growing as a person. And just as reaching the peak of the mountain requires perseverance, studying medicine must also be approached in the same manner. There are times when I will feel overwhelmed because there is much too much information to learn. I will be mentally challenged like never before. What has the Camino taught me? Sometimes its necessary to stop, take a deep breath (actually many), and keep climbing to the top. The journey will be difficult, but it will make reaching the top even more satisfying. Furthermore, the Camino has provided me with a deeper understanding of different cultures. I’ve had the opportunity to interact with people from all over the globe, such as those from Brazil, Africa, Germany and Asia. Experiencing this cultural immersion is extremely valuable because in healthcare, one sees patients from all sorts of backgrounds. Being aware of different customs will not only build trust between provider and patient, but also rapport. All things considered, Walking to Santiago de Compostela was intentionally “impertinent” but a fundamental component of my higher education. My pilgrimage through Spain set the standard for what I can expect moving forward. I’ve gained the confidence to follow the path I have created without hesitation. When the going gets tough, all I need to remind myself is that I can and I will.