A farewell to AislingQuoy, and a welcome to new beginnings

20170114_212216

I am very sad to report that I have left AislingQuoy due to the fact that I was struggling with severe hay fever and asthma in the environment there. After assessing my health with a doctor, Lyndal, and my parents, we all came to decide that in order to protect my wellbeing I must move on. I miss Lyndal, Steve, Maddy, and every animal already but I know that it is for the best as my health is already improving significantly after departure. If I ever do have my own goats or sheep I might have to find something else to feed them besides hay!! Even though my time was cut short, I am grateful for all that I have learned from this wonderful farm, and honored to have had the privilege to work with Lyndal, who was an astonishing mentor. I gained a lot of insight as to what it’s like to live on a sustainable farm to provide for yourself, and am thoroughly impressed and inspired by the work that goes on at AislingQuoy to make this lifestyle possible. I felt the passion and motivation that Lyndal and Steve feel for their special place, and greatly admire their desire to be so connected with with where their food comes from. The knowledge I absorbed and the experiences I had will always be remembered.

For now I am visiting another farm in Motueka, a small town on the north end of the south island. A lovely lady named Lynda (I know it’s confusing because it’s only one letter away from Lyndal) owns a little farm where she grows herbs for her herbal medicine counseling. When she first bought the property a few years ago, it was a commercial kiwifruit orchard. She is now in the process of converting it into a permaculture garden and has lots of work to do! I am hoping to do some work with farmscaping and learn more about herbal medicine, as well as help her out with the maintenance that needs to be kept up with and doing odd jobs that are required when beginning a farm. I am hoping to get a better idea of the practicalities of starting out with a dream and a messy plot of land.

As for the rest of my journey for the quarter, I’m planning to do some traveling throughout the country studying what is growing where, and why. I plan to visit other intriguing farms, attend food festivals, volunteer at co-ops, farmers markets, or community events, get in touch with the native Maori population and learn about their food culture, and spring on any opportunity I find to learn about alternatives to the super-market diet. I am feeling optimistic and excited to see where my path takes me!