Contracts and Evaluations

Final Self Evaluation

The alternative lifestyle of living in harmony with the earth through connection to place, food, and culture, is the only life I want to live. I have felt its power, seen its effectiveness, and awoken my mind and heart to wisdom of living a life that cares for individuals, societies and cultures, and the earth.

Feeling suffocated and agonized by the horrifying realities of the commoditized economy, destruction to the earth through massive, chemical-dependent agriculture enterprises, and the inequity in our society’s way of thinking and acting, I have embarked on this journey to seek a different way of being. I have traveled to Aotearoa/New Zealand seeking those who have innovative mindsets, and possess the skills and techniques to nurture themselves and those around them through regenerative land management and community involvement.

Permaculture was only a faint concept in my mind before the start of the quarter, and I can honestly say that immersive studies in the field have completely shaped my heart from feeling grief and helplessness for the world to one that pounds with hope and determination. I welcome the ethics and values of permaculture into my own spirit and am now motivated to channel my energy into building the movement. I am passionate to get out there and use permaculture to rehabilitate disconnected systems into strong and resilient networks.

I have spent hours upon hours using my hands to practice the technical aspects needed to implement and maintain permaculture systems. I was fortunate enough to spend time practicing building compost, pruning trees and tomatoes, harvesting, seed-saving, transplanting, mulching, earth-building, meal planning and preparation, fruit and veggie preservation, beekeeping, weeding, feeding, and milking. All of these techniques are critical to creating self-sustaining properties that can nourish us. I hope to continue learning and teaching these activities, and aspire that one day, small-scale, diversified farms using simple technologies like the ones I’ve practiced can become more popular than damaging large-scale operations. I dream of spreading my understanding of farming sustainably to people around the world who will benefit from healthy agricultural systems. I want to show others the way to connection with their food, which comes from the earth and will eventually become a part them.

I took a deeper look into the methodology of soil conditioning, water conservation, and alternative energy methods to improve my knowledge on how we as a human collective can use our resources more effectively. I will to bring these ideals home with me and awaken my friends and family to the need for these concepts to be at the fronts of our minds, and teach people about easy solutions we can implement today to make small differences.

I learned to really read a landscape and identify patterns, and opened my eyes to how to improve a hurting system. I intertwined ecology into designing both physical and social systems. I created a design for a property that is hurting due to lack of rotation, and poor soils from erosion and pesticide use. I am excited to continue my work in the realm of designing with and for the natural world. I have already begun looking into ways I can continue utilizing these skills for the benefit of our environment in America.

I bonded with activists in the permaculture world, attended a local food and wine festival, visited inspiring farms, brainstormed ideas at a community event promoting sustainable futures, and spoke with passionate, smiling faces at farmers markets. I listened to the stories and age-old perceptions of indigenous Maori people, visited museum exhibits on the history they’ve had on the land, participated in a traditional powhiri ceremony to celebrate connection of cultures, and even learned a little bit of their beautiful language. I made friends with others who are on the journey of getting to know and helping others know about permaculture, and their determination has inspired me to do everything I can to make big changes in the universe. I am now looking into options for starting a community event or festival for the people of Olympia that may help us come together to identify ways we can live a happier, healthy, lifestyle that nourishes all of us and our amazing land, which we are responsible for taking care of.

My new awareness of the incredible viability of breaking away from the constructs of social norms in our modern culture has empowered me to wake up each morning with a new way of thinking. I will perceive problems as opportunities for solutions, and start with small steps to dismantle our broken systems and re-build them from the soil up. I will start with remodeling my own lifestyle, and do as much as I can to make a positive impact in the lifestyles of members in my community, and from there on out, who knows! Anything is possible.

Mid-Quarter Evaluation

During my short time at AislingQuoy, I learned lots about what it’s like to live on a farm. I rose with the sun and operated on the schedule of the land and animals. Lyndal and Steve, my wonderful hosts and field supervisors, were incredibly knowledgeable and it was a privilege to see how wonderfully they ran their property. I felt their blossoming passion to connect to where their food comes from, and this feeling empowered me. They truly care for each and every one of their animals as well as the garden they tend to. It lit a fire inside me, full of hope and excitement for the future of what our food system could be like if many more people were able to grow most of what they eat. It was fascinating and uplifting just to be a part of their special lifestyles, even for the brief 3-week period I spent with them, and enlightening to see the practicalities behind owning a farm.

My main focuses of learning were how to set up and maintain a clean dairy, a brief introduction to milking and cheese-making, animal welfare management, vegetable and fruit preservation, and meal planning and preparation with food growing on the farm.

In the dairy, I got the chance to observe different animal behaviors. I learned about their lactation curves, and watched as the social orders came into play as each animal had a preference for who could come in to milking first. I practiced milking a little bit and realized how diverse every goat and sheep was as they varied in udder, nipple, and orifice size. I also came to find that keeping a dairy space clean is a real challenge, there are lots of dishes that need to be sterilized properly, and the floors and milking machine require thorough daily cleaning maintenance as well.

I only had the opportunity to get to know the very basics of cheese-making as Lyndal taught me to make ricotta and halloumi. I now know some simple vocabulary used in the world of cheese and understand more about the enzymes present in milk and coagulants, and the chemical reactions that take place when cheese is made. It is a very delicate process, a true blend of science and art. Knowing that the cheeses we made were quite forgiving made me appreciate the determination that comes with making more intricate recipes.

As for animal management, the animals at AislingQuoy were beginning to struggle with parasite issues when I arrived. I learned how to tell the signs of a sick animal and then the procedure to follow once it is observed that an animal is suffering. I practiced the procedure of collecting fecal samples from goats and then making up a microscope slide of the sample to analyze.

In regards to food preservation, I spent lots of time processing food so that it could be stored for the off-season. Producing much of your own food, like they do at AislingQuoy, means that lots of planning is required so that you can provide for yourself throughout the year. I partook in lots of pitting plums and apricots, canning, jam and yogurt making, olive bottling, and pea shelling.

Another important piece of farm-to-table operations I got to participate in is cooking with what is currently available on the property. As vegetables and fruits reach peak season, there is an abundance of them so it is necessary to use these ingredients in most meals. I discovered some new ways of preparing foods and learned lots from the creativity of Lyndal, who has by now come up with unique and delicious methods for keeping the table interesting.

Overall, I got a grasp at what it’s like to rely primarily on a farm rather than a supermarket. I basked in the pleasures of fresh, homegrown food and enjoyed my time in the field of animal care. I am inspired after seeing how well a sustainable system like this one can operate when managed properly. I have some new outlooks on the feasibility of self-sustaining properties, after looking into the window of the lifestyle. It’s full of hardships, challenging work, early mornings and late nights, and days off are far and few. Additionally, there are still expenses like mortgages, costs of gas and electricity, health insurance, and many other financial things that exclusively require money, which doesn’t grow on trees. I’ve realized that if I’m ever going to live on a farm like this it’s necessary to have a source of outside income. Unlike other farm work that I’ve engaged in, where my involvement in the garden ended as I would go home for the night, this opportunity allowed me to open my eyes to the reality of being responsible for land, rather than just tending to it. Despite all of the difficulties that come with this responsibility, I believe now more than ever that it is all a worthwhile effort after experiencing the pure bliss of raising animals and growing food, and feeling largely independent from large agricultural enterprises. I hope to expand my knowledge to my home in Olympia and begin to grow more of my own food, and get in touch with local farmers who provide what I can’t grow myself to connect with where my food is coming from.

At Garden of Eden in Motueka, I saw a farm at a very different stage of development. My jobs were intensive and laborious, as there were huge projects of clearing areas and building up of the soils. I had an insight into what it would be like to buy a piece of land not previously used for diversified farming, and was shocked by how difficult the transformation can be. Educationally, my learning was mainly emphasized on garden design principles, compost making, and beekeeping. Having the chance to live this rustic, demanding life, I now feel a compassion for those who chose to embark on the goal of creating a productive organic farm from scratch. I’m still doing some thinking as to whether or not I’d ever want to take on something this huge as the whole idea was largely overwhelming. However, I feel reinvigorated after witnessing the desire to actually change land from conventional monoculture to a sustainable enterprise.

A final essential part of my field studies has been being involved in community connections here. Attending a powhiri ceremony with the local Maori people, visiting farmers markets, and meeting people active in the agricultural world has awakened me to new enthusiasm and love. I have never felt such an avid, all-embracing kindness that seems to radiate from the smiles of every soul I’ve had the chance to come together with. I now dream of putting together an event or festival in Olympia in which we all work to discuss issues of our disconnections to one another and the earth and find solutions for them.

This adventure I’ve set out on has proven to be academically and emotionally enriching beyond belief, and I’m eager to see what else this studying abroad journey has to offer.

Description

In this one-quarter internship taking place in New Zealand, this student will learn a variety of permaculture and horticulture concepts, become involved in community building, and study alternative lifestyles. The student will travel to see and work with various permaculture sites in different stages of development and learn from knowledgable many people in the farming community. Practical, hands-on skills like crop planning, transplanting and seeding, compost building, managing compost toilets, and seed-saving will be incorporated, as well as education on soils, nutrient requirements, ecological principles, and innovative techniques for designing and managing a farm. The student will attend a Permaculture Design Course and receive a PDC certificate. They will gain skills and knowledge needed to design both physical agricultural and social landscapes for self-sustaining strength and resilience.

Learning Objectives Activities that will help me to attain this objective What my sponsor will evaluate
Permaculture I will study landscape design, water conservation, soil sciences, nutrient requirements of plants for optimum efficiency, learn the basic concepts and of earth-building and design and practice these techniques, become familiar with practices of rotational grazing and crop planning, manage composting toilets, incorporate wild foraging and practice it in a respectable manner, learn to prepare meals exclusively with food that’s ready in the garden, and get first-hand looks at how plants, animals, and people work together to create a balanced, integrated farming system. I will do this by visiting and working on various permaculture farms and taking a permaculture design course. I will complete a design for a real client’s property in Golden Bay. I will make regular blog posts with text and pictures thoroughly describing my academic progress in this subject.
Horticulture I will gain an understanding of how to plan a garden using consideration for climate, ecology, and soil types. I will learn to design in both time and space for bio-intensive productions to maximize land use. I will become familiar with local weeds and controlling them, practice sowing seeds and transplanting into the field, practice pruning,  utilize seed-saving, and making compost. I will learn about innovate techniques for growing food in the most regenerative and productive ways possible. I will have a field notebook where I track my daily activities and what I am learning as I go. I’ll post summaries of these notes on my blog frequently.
Community building I will connect with the integrated community of the Golden Bay area through visiting farmers markets, festivals, and events, learning about and spending time with the indigenous Maori people in the area, embarking on field visits to see permaculturists in action. I will learn about the social aspects of permaculture and how to incorporate sustainable concepts into a culture by learning from the ways of the earth. I will learn more about communicating with adversaries, coming from a place of understanding, to bring about effective change. I will create blog posts that include the emotions and ideas that spring from my community involvement here, full of pictures depicting how beautiful working together can be.
Commodity Studies I will immerse myself in the study of alternative lifestyles.

In coordinance with the theme of commodification alternatives in the Student-Origniated Studies program, I will evaluate the feasibility of living detached from corporate dependance and the capitalist economy. I will gain skills and knowledge to work towards growing my own food, building my own home, and becoming more connected to the earth and those who surround me. I hope to assess how to viably intertwine these techniques into my daily life in America, and how to be an activist for sustainable living on a broader scale.

My learnings will occasionally be accompanied by readings and writings on seminar texts Racial Indigestion:  Eating Bodies in the 19th Century by Kyla Wazana and The Secret Financial Life of Food:  From Commodities Markets to Supermarkets by Kara Newman, when I have the time to read them.

Disclaimer: Most of this contract was inapplicable to my actual ILC as I quickly became quite under the weather at Lyndal’s farm due to hay fever and asthma. I was not able to begin work in the fromagerie, and my studies in animal management, dairy, and farm to table were not as extensive as I would’ve hoped while I was there, and were not continued in my further pursuits.

In this one-quarter intensive farm internship taking place in Amberley, New Zealand, this student will learn a variety of permaculture and horticulture concepts, as well as practice animal management and cheese-making skills. Daily tasks on the farm will make up 10-14 hour days of hard work. Permaculture and horticulture practices will include planning crops for garden beds, seeding, planting, harvesting, controlling weed pressure and plant nutrition, and will practice daily meal planning and cooking with ingredients either grown on-site or sourced wildly. Animal care will encompass feeding and watering, milking goats and sheep, monitoring animal health, and using pasture rotation. The student will learn to complete all of these tasks in a sustainable manner, and will utilize other self-sustaining techniques for farm properties such as how to build basic structures and manage a composting toilet. Finally, this student will learn to make a variety of cheeses, properly clean cheese-making equipment, and will design their own cheese to share with the community in North Canterbury.

Sustainability and Permaculture We will study watering principles and practice water conservation, learn the basic concepts of earth-building and design, exercise rotational grazing and crop planning, manage a composting toilet, incorporate wild foraging and practice it in a respectable manner, practice strategies for season extension, and get a first-hand look at how plants and animals work together to create a balanced, integrated farming system. I will make regular blog posts with text and pictures thoroughly describing my academic progress in this subject.
Horticulture We will gain an understanding of how to plan a garden using consideration for climate, ecology, and soil types. We will become familiar with local weeds and controlling them, practice sowing seeds and transplanting into the field, actively monitor plants for nutrition, prune to care for them as needed, learn to harvest for optimal yields, and utilize seed-saving. I will have a field notebook where I track my daily activities and what I am learning as I go. I’ll post summaries of these notes on my blog frequently, and submit my full notes to Sarah at the end of the quarter.
Farm To Table We will learn the principles of good food safety in relation to plants, meat, and dairy products, practice preservation and efficient storage methods, consider meal-planning when selecting crops to grow, study various culinary methods used in other cultures, practice pairing flavors together, and use harvested food, butchered meat, and cheese made on the farm to prepare meals for ourselves on a regular basis. Photographs will be taken of each meal we make and I will post them on my blog with a detailed description of the journey every ingredient made to come to our plate in each unique recipe.
Animal Management We will practice complete care for a variety of animals on the farm, including goat, sheep, chickens, ducks, and pigs. We will become very familiar with providing water frequently, preparing feeds for maximum nutrition, pasture rotation, looking for indicators of compromised health, studying animal behaviors and helping them to get socialized, setting up electric fencing and additionally we will practice hoof trimming and potentially have the chance to do some shearing. For the goats and sheep in dairy production, we’ll be responsible for milking them typically twice daily, and will learn to use both hand-milking and machine-milking methods. We’ll discuss seasonal changes and influences on milk volume, and be able to assess the quality of the milk, then keep detailed records of the milk quantity and quality. Finally, depending on timing we may have the opportunity to practice basic butchering of animals and learn the main cuts for their meat. I will take avid notes on the behaviors I see and the nutrition that the animals are receiving in my field notebook to be reviewed at the end of the quarter, and will post summaries on my blog. I will keep track of the health of all the animals and record measures taken to care for them, posting management methods on my blog. I’ll also make posts discussing my observations on the quality and quantity of milk as it changes on a day-to-day basis.
Fromagerie We will use proper cleaning procedures before and after cheese-making and routinely document them, gain an understanding of various types of cheese, recognize the differences and influences on milk curd behavior, make and age pressed and soft cheeses, recognize appropriate molds, and learn to turn, brine, and wash cheeses in affinage. Finally, one of my larger projects will be designing my very own new kind of cheese. I’ll practice making many cheeses already produced at AislingQuoy, then use my newfound knowledge and skills to begin creating a unique cheese. I will likely not have the time to practice playing with the textures and flavors through alterations due to limited timing, but will have a good basis for a cheese I could further develop in the future. I hope to then share my first edition of the product with the community in North Canterbury. Lastly, I’ll teach a basic cheesemaking class. I will make frequent posts on my blog with text and pictures to explain my progress in learning the world of artisan cheese production. As I begin developing my recipe for my own cheese, I’ll track my thoughts and ideas involved in its design and keep records of my studies as I learn the differences in the recipes of cheeses to bring on specific textures and flavors.
Commodity Studies We will immerse ourselves in the localized food system in North Canterbury, becoming a part of the cheese production at AislingQuoy, where they value creating a product that is not labeled with a price tag, but rather shared with the community. In coordinance with the theme of commodification alternatives in the Student-Origniated Studies program, we will evaluate the feasibility of the unique arrangement at this farm serving as an alternate to the traditional economical concept of assigning a measurable value to everything in America. We then hope to assess how we could viably bring some of the core principles of their self-sustainability we learn into our own food system in America. Our learnings in this field will be accompanied by reading selections in the texts of the SOS program, including Racial Indigestion:  Eating Bodies in the 19th Century by Kyla Wazana Tompkins, Chronicles: Stories from the Front Line in the Battle for Environmental Justice by Winona LaDuke, and The Secret Financial Life of Food:  From Commodities Markets to Supermarkets by Kara Newman. I will write-up my thoughts and feelings about the culture around economic alternatives to a heavily commoditized system that we currently have in America. Included in these posts will be my ideas for incorporating the concepts of this primarily self-sustaining, community operation into the structure of food production and sales in our country.

Evaluation of Work

• Blog posts several times a week from student
  • Bi-weekly reports from field supervisor
  • Narrative evaluation from field supervisor emailed to sponsor
  • Narrative evaluation from sponsor
  • Narrative self-evaluation from student

Faculty Support

I will share my general progress on my internship with my sponsor, Sarah Williams through an active blog using texts and photos to summarize my field notes, my daily activities on the farm and in the community, and what I learn from them. Posts will be made at least 5 times weekly. My field supervisor, Lyndal Barkle, will provide bi-weekly reports summarizing my academic development to Sarah. As the quarter comes to an end, evaluations of the internship will be written by myself, Sarah, and Lyndal.