Whole systems design and goal management

Designing is the art of manifesting ideas into physical reality. It involves creative expression and thoughtful organization.

“Conventional” design methods, those implemented commonly in our current society, creates band-aid solutions that address a problem in quick-fix way. These solutions are often economically driven, treat the symptoms and not the cause, do not consider the greater good of the whole, implemented without proper research, do not consider ancient wisdom and simple methods, are based out of fear and the pressure of risk management, and the pursuits they aim for are not always necessary to life, but just out of desire for more comfort and convenience. It’s easy to see these concepts in the world of agriculture, as farmers prefer to rely on the “safe” bet of using chemicals to control weed suppression and pest populations, and upscale their operations so they can sell a whole farms load of yield to a commodity market. Our economic and legal structures can also be seen make decisions in these ways. In an economic sense, companies release products all the time that could have unseen consequences and unreversable impacts on us and our planet. Consider the inventions and rushed acceleration of products like cigarettes, cars, GMOs, and explosives, which are just a few things that were released and made widely available before we had a chance to see how damaging they are. In our legal systems, governments respond quickly to change through non-inclusive leaders who people may or may not have a choice in electing. Legal and economic structures are both dominated by unperceptive, fast-acting, and selfish power-holders.

On the brighter side of things, we have a chance to implement holistic designs. Sound design considers the big picture, offers humility around every idea, always includes empathy and is engaging, incorporates thinking in social, economic, and ecological ways as one connected whole, makes adaptable plans, and works from patterns to details. It is a slower and simpler solution that i more thoroughly thought out. While it’s hard to straight away reform giant corporations or federal governments, we can create much change on a smaller basis. Starting within ourselves and expanding out to those who are close to us like neighbors, families, and friends, then perhaps building up and up to city management, regional councils and state governments, we can choose to live more regeneratively. While the  big guys up top may seem like they have power that can’t be taken away, they still rely on the support of the general public. By slipping our hands out from under them and making the decision to live without perpetuating their harmful practices, we steadily break them down.

One skill I learned was how to make holistic goals that can accomplish a greater purpose. They can help individuals, groups, and cultures alike to move from an actual state to a desired state. I started with creating visions for different aspects of my life. Mine are too personal and complicated for me to feel good about sharing so I’ll make an example. A vision is a statement containing what the desired state is. All sentences made are in the present and active tenses to make them feel more achievable. An example is “I am happy and healthy.” Next, we think about things that need to be true for the vision to be true. They are called quality of life statements, and can be branched off bubble-map style from the vision at the center. For instance “I surround myself with academically enriching people, I read new books, I eat healthy, I go for morning runs” are some ways to become happy and healthy. Then, we zone in on each of these items and describe them on a more specific, measurable, timely and attainable basis. “I eat healthy foods” could be dissected into “I eat at least one vegetable or fruit with every meal, I try new recipes with diversified ingredients at least twice a week, and I limit my ice cream consumption to once every week.” Our next step is making a resource base that describes what we have to make sure these things come true. “I have two nights off from a week allowing me adequate time for new recipes, I have access to a farmers market with impressive fresh foods that inspire me, and I keep healthier sweet alternatives like berries and yogurt on hand to keep me from wanting ice cream.”

Of course, this is all hypothetical but the method of coming to a consensus can be used in bigger ways. Once everything is mapped out on paper, we can always come back to it for consult during decision making. If an opportunity isn’t aligned with the values and goals we outlined, we know not to take it. I plan to practice using this technique a lot!