Week 2 at GRuB

So far I have been getting oriented to everything involved with being a farm intern at GRuB and it has been really great! Since the weather has been so wet and cold there hasn’t been an opportunity to till all the soil and prep the beds for new plants. So instead we have been spending a lot of time weeding and prepping in the 2 large hoop houses, organizing and clearing out garbage that has been collecting over the past year, and seeding things in the greenhouse.

We had a couple nice days where we were able to weed wack all the cover crops in the field and move the strawberries to a different area. We also made some potting soil mix with the youth one of the days which was really fun. The farm assistant manager and I built a hoop house for plants transitioning from the heated greenhouse to being outside. I have some photos in the image gallery.

I also participated in a morning lecture at DOP about intersectionality and identity from the voice of a trans Pacific Islander woman, named Rihanna, who works with the Gender Justice League in Seattle. Her story was very inspirational and moving. I couldn’t believe how strong she was with sharing such vulnerable and intimate information about her personal life and finding her identity.  Her lecture was very relevant to the work I am doing with the youth at GRuB and finding ways to be supportive and create stable relationships within a community.

Be First to Comment