browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Chaksibote – Views-Teaching-Chulo Project

Posted by on January 9, 2015

The stars outside are so bright, I love looking at the clusters. As I was getting lost in the stars, I was trying to decipher the shapes but then I realized that I don’t really know what these different shapes looks like. That has pulled me back to reality and I’m okay with that.

Today was an interesting day. The students taught at the schools again and the children now having passed their shy stage are bustling with excitement! People are so interested in what we’re doing, I’d say at the same rate of our interest in them. This is awesome to see this cultural exchange right before my eyes. I took some observation notes about the school and it’s great to look at this subject more in depth. It makes me wonder what all I’ve looked over in the past.

The students have started to feel better but others have gotten worse for various reasons. Each seem to be coming to terms with their weaknesses because this trip has been rather intense physically, emotionally, and mentally. It’s a really wonderful thing to realize the depth within ourselves as individuals and I get to witness this. Being in a position to give advice and guide the students is a really powerful one that I would accept time and time again.

Each person in this trip has their own thing to contribute and I’m literally—constantly amused by their funny personalities. Each person is so quirky and jolly. Then seeing them interact with the Nepalese is fun as well. The start on the chulos (smokeless stoves) has begun. Zach is in control of this project, this is his lesson for the trip. They mixed clay and water (and possibly poop) to make the bricks with a hole in the middle for when the assemble the chimney. This will allow the smoke to be directed outside the home while cooking. Last year in Padem Pokari, the SOTA group taught how to make the stoves but we didn’t have enough time this year to really make it happen but luckily this year it has come through.

We’re building an example and teaching the villagers how. Many villagers and students from the school were gathered all around, interested in the project. This is so beneficial for the health of everyone in the homes, it’s just fantastic. It’s great because it also brings the community together to make this all happen. It’s interesting because Bhupal, Shikar, Zach, Julian and Madison all were working intensely on the project but when the girls asked to help more than the bit that they had, they were turned away. After this past semester of studying feminism, it’s crazy to recognize this obligation these men/boys feel to take the lead.

~ Josolynn Jones