Image Gallery

Seedlings ready for transplanting. Seeds are started in flats and transplanted to 72 cell trays when the reach this stage.
Learning the basics of irragation installation and repair at my internship at Evergreen.

Tulip season has begun! Beth chose a cooler and shadier site for the tulip bulbs to delay harvest dates to allow the incoming POF students a chance to harvest during their first week of class.
A lovely example of native flora at the farm.
Native fauna at the organic farm at Evergreen State College.
Tulips picked, packed, and ready for market.
The seedmaster vibrating hand seeder. Seeds are evenly dispensed by rotating the wheel on the trowel, vibrations drop the seed right where you want them.
Echo (spring) Azure (Celastrina echo) I encountered several of these blue beauties while weeding the perennial flower bed at the organic farm. Native to the pacific northwest.
Mapping out my fence. I chose this pasture site to install an enclosed deer and elk proof growing area. The ground has good slope and drainage year round.
I attached Plant Pro-Tec repellent clips to my unprotected pear trees to test their effectiveness. The active ingredient is garlic oil.

I am measuring 200 X 200 feet deer and elk proof fence. The height of the fence needs to be at least 8 feet tall.
Irish Spring Soap encased in old socks, hopefully the strong scent will deter deer browsing.
I’m testing the usefulness of Irish Spring soap tied in old socks. I’ve hung several soap enclosed socks on my young fruit trees that were defoliated by deer last year.
Lilly bulb bed weeded and ready for planting at home.
Installing irrigation and paper mulch at the organic farm. My internship allows me to try many different tools and farming methods.

New plantings at home of Vaccinium corymbosum.
An unknown variety of lilac growing on my farm.

viburnum opulas
A large hedge of snowball viburnum growing on my property. I’m hoping to plant more and grow several viburnum species for the wholesale market.
Frost damage on basil starts.
The handy pump sprayer used to used to apply kelp to plant starts.
Beth suggested we give the basil and beet starts a dose of nutrients using liquid kelp. I applied the solution using the lightweight pump sprayer.
Field supervisor Beth suggested I invest in a quality scale to quickly and accurately measure out soil amendments.
We laid metallic thrip mulch in the gladioli flower bed. The reflective surface confuses the thrips visual cues. Last year the organic farm’s crop of gladioli was wiped out from heavy thrip damage. It will be interesting to see if this mulch is effective.

A great example of lean farm practice in action at Jello Mold Farm. This small tool shed is located in the middle of the growing area on the farm. Time wasting trips to the main barn are avoided by having tools and materials neatly organized and centrally located.

Tools and supplies are neatly organized and labeled. 

Fellow intern Pam storing poppies ready for market.
Sweet Pea hoop house.

Jello Mold flower stand at the Seattle Wholesale Growers Market Cooperative.
Dennis demonstrating the proper way to select, cut, and bundle sweet peas.

Rows of colorful foliage at Jello Mold Farm.
The mission statement displayed in the new office of The Seattle Wholesale Growers Market Cooperative.