Week 1

Well before week 1 of Winter quarter began, I had a very definite idea of what my project would be for this quarter. In early January I participated in a 2-day business training course through Enterprise for Equity, which is a non-profit organization located in Olympia, Wa that helps individuals with limited incomes start small businesses within their community (http://www.enterpriseforequity.org/)

After completing the intensive 2-day course, I set my sights on the Business Planning Program, which is a 10 week course, assisting and guiding students in their research and preparation of a working business plan. To gain acceptance into this program, there were a few steps I needed to take, including an in-person interview with the Training Director. Though nerve-wracking, my interview was successful and I was granted acceptance into the program. This program coordinates well with the SOS Ag program at Evergreen, and many students have taken this path, incorporating business training into their agricultural dreams.

My own agricultural dreams include starting my own fiber business and utilizing our 15 acres of farmland to raise sheep, goats, and other fiber animals in an ethical and sustainable manner. At the moment, I am focusing intently on sheep and what is needed for their care and readying our farm for their eventual arrival. I’m partnering with local business and farmers in order to gain hands-on and practical knowledge of animal husbandry in addition to my business training at Enterprise for Equity and my academic study at Evergeen. These farms, businesses, and farmers include: Kaukiki Farm, a sheep farm located in Longbranch, Wa that provides high-quality lamb and beef, The Allyn Knit Shop located in Allyn, Wa, and John Leyton, an alpaca farmer just down the road from us in Longbranch, Wa.

This quarter will most definitely be a busy one, but I have high hopes that my knowledge base will expand exponentially, readying me to achieve my dreams of making our little farm a working reality.