MESsages

The official blog of Evergreen's Master of Environmental Studies degree

Butterflies, flowers and prairies, oh my!

By Bri Morningred, MES 2nd year student. 

In a state that is lush with evergreen, it is relatively easy to overlook one of Washington’s most rare and unique ecosystems: the prairies. As a native Washingtonian I really do think that spring is her best outfit—from the cherry trees to the rhododendrons Washington is awash with color and new life. The prairies are no exception—sporting purple Camus and orange Indian Paintbrush they sing of spring.

Prairie41

Bri and others learning more about rare prairie plants in the South Sound. Photo by Jaal Mann.

Friday and Saturday I had the fortune to experience spring in full swing with a tour of Shotwell’s Landing Nursery and Glacial Heritage prairie for Prairie Appreciation Day. Shotwell’s Landing located in Littlerock, WA along Black River is home to a conservation nursery project growing endangered prairie plant species. It is jointly managed by the Center for Natural Lands Management and Sustainability in Prisons Project. This conservation nursery hub has conducted its own research into developing successful germination and seed collection methods for several endangered plant species that are exceedingly difficult to grow. The tour was a wonderful blend of those who are currently in plant production, those who have just started plant production and those who are hoping to start plant production soon. I help care for the plants as they’re growing—weeding, watering, etc—and it was really interesting to talk with a group of people with such vast amounts of knowledge. We toured Shotwell’s Landing, Websters Seed Nursery and Violet Prairie Seed Nursery amidst moments of stormy downpours. It was such a fun afternoon discussing prairies and seed cultivation methods with local experts. There was even a sighting of two Boxers from Oregon leaping in a nearby field (see photo below).

Bri and MES Assistant Director Gail Wootan enjoying the prairie

Bri and MES Assistant Director Gail Wootan enjoying the prairie (aka: two Pacific University Boxers leaping in a field). Photo by Jaal Mann.

The following day was Prairie Appreciation Day at Glacial Heritage Reserve near Mima Mounds. This is a prairie habitat preserve that supports the endangered Indian Paintbrush as well as the endangered Tailor’s Checkerspot butterfly. PAD is the one day a year when the preserve is open to the public for viewing—otherwise foot traffic is restricted to volunteers in order to reduce human impact and protect the endangered species. Glacial Heritage is the very first prairie I ever saw on the same day last year and it completely opened my eyes to one of Washington’s rare sights: a healthy prairie. Only 3% of Washington’s historic prairies still exist today, and many organizations are working to keep them protected and healthy. PAD is wonderful day of activities that not only teach about the prairie ecosystem, but also about all the organizations working to protect it—including Center for Natural Lands Management, Sustainability in Prisons Project, The Nature Conservancy and many more. Most activities are kid-focused so I got to spend my day helping kids making Taylor’s Checkerspot Butterfly kites and their very own “nectar boxes” made out of prairie plant flowers they colored themselves and chilled juice boxes. Who wouldn’t want to hydrate like a butterfly right? If you ever get a chance to check out one of Washington’s prairies do it; it will draw you in and you’ll wonder how such a unique landscape can be hiding in plain sight.

A child enjoys running through the prairie

A child enjoys running through the prairie. Photo by Jaal Mann.

13 Comments

1. Fine way of telling, and good piece of writing to take facts concerning
    my presentation subject, which i am going to present in academy.

2. Valuable information. Lucky me I discovered your site accidentally, and I’m surprised
    why this coincidence did not took place earlier!
    I bookmarked it.

3. This post will help the internet viewers for setting
    up new blog or even a weblog from start to end.

4. Remarkable issues here. I’m very glad to see your post.
    Thanks a lot and I am looking ahead to touch
    you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

5. I am now not certain where you are getting your info,
    however good topic. I must spend a while finding out much more
    or understanding more. Thank you for fantastic information I was searching for this information for my mission.

6. For most recent news you have to pay a quick visit
    internet and on world-wide-web I found this site as a finest web page for latest updates.

7. It’s amazing to go to see this web site and
    reading the views of all colleagues regarding this piece of writing,
    while I am also eager of getting knowledge.

8. My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less.
    I’ve been using Movable-type on several websites for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform.
    I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.net.
    Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it?
    Any kind of help would be really appreciated!

9. Hi friends, good post and nice arguments commented here, I am truly enjoying by
    these.

10. Hi there Dear, are you in fact visiting this
    web site on a regular basis, if so after that you will definitely take
    good knowledge.

11. When I initially commented I appear to have clicked
    on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from
    now on whenever a comment is added I recieve 4 emails with the exact same comment.
    Perhaps there is a means you can remove me from that service?
    Kudos!

12. This is a great tip particularly to those new to the
    blogosphere. Short but very precise info… Many thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read post!

13. I would like to say thank you for this amazing blog post. As a person dealing with cre loan data I find it very interesting.