The tomato starts have been in their flat for over a week now and they are looking happy and healthy! All 13 varieties have sprouted, with good numbers; this momentarily eliminates any concern that there may be a shortage of seedlings within a single variety. Within the week, I will prick all of the seedlings out into a 72 celled seedling flat, where they will most likely remain until they are to be planted in the field.

I have continued collaborating with the farm staff, gathering information on common farm practices used for bed prep, mulching, trellis construction, soil amendments. etc. I have begun work on the farm plot that will be the location of the trial. When deciding trellis designs, based off of common farm practices, I have chosen to use the Florida Weave. This offers ample support to the plants without excessive shading of the other plants. To assist with weed suppression and maintaining warmer soil temperatures, the farm managers recommend that I use a type of plastic tarp mulch, commonly known as ‘Solar Mulch.” This will be laid in the field once the current crop is harvested and subsequent bed prep has taken place.

For now, the seedlings have remained in the heated green house, resting on a warm and cozy heating mat that helps keep the roots at a more preferred temperature. I will check back in next Monday to give another update.