The Thurston County Public Works Department Solid Waste Program is a source for some great tips for enjoying a “less unsustainable” holiday season. Check out their website for some good reminders of small and big changes you could make to how you celebrate the season Continue reading
RAD Services sustainably remodels one modular housing unit (Mod) every year in an effort to both decrease the Evergreen campus carbon footprint, and compare the efficiencies of different financially reasonable sustainability methods. Continue reading
Resources to explore and things to watch for as we strive to be “less un-sustainable”
– compliments of the Student Affairs Sustainability Committee: Courtney Bailey, Andrew Beattie, Kyle Conyers, Elaine Hayashi-Peterson, Irene Hinkle, Tracey Johnson, Justin Reuter, Susie Seip, and Scott Stavely Continue reading
I recently had the privilege of attending the 8th International Conference on Environmental, Cultural, Economic, and Social Sustainability in Vancouver, Canada. More than 400 people from twenty-nine different countries attended the conference. Each day was full of presentations from what seemed like every academic discipline. With about 100 presentations to choose from each day, I, along with many other conference-goers, had a difficult time deciding which presentation to attend—a good problem to have. There was also great variety in the types of sessions offered. Continue reading
The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) developed the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS) as a voluntary, self-reporting framework for recognizing and gauging relative progress toward sustainability for colleges and universities. It is designed to:
- Provide a framework for understanding sustainability in all sectors of higher education.
- Enable meaningful comparisons over time and across institutions using a common set of measurements developed with broad participation from the campus sustainability community.
- Create incentives for continual improvement toward sustainability.
- Facilitate information sharing about higher education sustainability practices and performance.
- Build a stronger, more diverse campus sustainability community. Continue reading