Category Archives: IT Management

Notes and posts from the C&C Management Team

C&C Leadership Meeting 8/14/2018

The majority of the time today was spent reviewing and revising last years goals and documenting strategic goals for the upcoming year. There is a whole lot of moving parts and critical work going on that are engaging the teams and our continued challenge is to focus on the highest priorities and keeping our projects moving. Next meeting will be primarily focused on developing clear objectives for the leadership retreat. One more month before faculty are on contract!

PCcard Handbook review
Visited by Brant from purchasing and reviewed current PCcard handbook. We decided on broad guidance language around admissible procurement strategies for technology purchases via pccard and how to deal with restricted IT purchases. The team will provide direction to the Purchasing office on language updates and submit to Tony and revisit how this is working in 3 months.

Review FY18 C&C Goals
Team reviewed year end goal document in order to report out C&C yearly accomplishments to the community. We also worked on developing new goals for the next year based on the enrollment recovery and revitalization goals set by the institution. We will continue to work on this strategy work at the leadership retreat.

Review retreat topics
Saved this topic till next week.

Standing Items
Reviewed standing issues with regards to personnel, budget, upcoming critical dates and project deadlines.

IT Leadership Meeting 8/1

There is so much going on across the college and within C&C it’s hard to track all the details. The Leadership Team meeting that was scheduled for an hour lasted 2 and a bit.  We were joined by Brant from Purchasing to discuss some of the big changes that are hitting our customers. Below are the highlights. As always please feel free to contact us for questions or post them below.

IT Acquisition
We are working through the nuances of our IT purchase and acquisition process in light of retirements and reorganization. We are exploring how best to partner with the Purchasing office to provide standard pathways for most common purchases (and C&C maintains those standards) and that exceptions would then go to the leadership team to review and approve or deny. Purchasing suggests that Banner approval queues might be the appropriate place to catch non-standard requests (changing from an acquisition tool to an approval tool). We have established standards around computer workstations and have authority to manage these standards as supported by the Appropriate Use policy. It get’s fuzzier around printers, software services, etc. Banner could be set up for users to mark items as standard or non-standard and purchasing could catch those items that have been improperly marked. This could open the door to a deeper conversation and documenting the exceptions. Purchasing is waiting for the return of the Finance Director to work out the details on coding and configuring Banner to provide possible pathways. Like so many things at Evergreen currently this is going to continue being an iterative process and we will all need to continue to over communicate with customers, stakeholders and folks in the Purchasing office.

Printing Analysis
Purchasing is still collecting information on detailed printing expenditures for the college. Once this information has been collated, Purchasing and C&C will collaborate on the analysis and move forward with next steps.

Extended Warranties
Academics is talking about dropping extended warranties on Academic computer purchases. Will other departments do this too? At some point soon we need to make a decision about whether or not we can provide out-of-warranty repair in-house or surplus broken equipment at the cost to the Org that purchased the equipment. A business analysis on the number of extended warranty repairs will help guide this conversation and a decision.

Linux Server Architecture
We are revisiting the way we architect, automate and deploy our server infrastructure. Conversation brought to light the need to organize a strategy between Network Services and Enterprise Application to determine the intersections for collaboration. Rip and Michael to organize and report back.

CAS and SAML – SSO Direction
We need to continue to build the strategy regarding our SSO infrastructure (CAS 5, SAML) moving forward with the growth of external and in-house apps and IAM on the horizon. It was suggested we review the F5 product to inform a pathway towards a more robust single-sign on architecture and the ability to associate non-college credentials with users AD credentials.

IT Leadership Meeting 7/24

As a way to better communicate with the campus, the IT Leadership Team is trying something new; posting our notes here regularly.  Please let us know if this is useful!

  • Discuss the open position in Enterprise Apps – Considering opening the vacant position in Enterprise Applications with a lead analyst/programmer position with an ERP focus and with strong infrastructural background to support the development team.
  • Argos and Reporting needs – Reviewed the Argos presentation and the college articulated need for better access to institutional data. Tony is in continued conversation with campus leadership around a direction we will take moving forward.
  • C&C communication proposal – Discussed providing feedback from our meeting to technews as a weekly digest of the discussions from the C&C Leadership Team. This is a way for us to communicate the discussions from the C&C Leadership Team more broadly.
  • EME Parts Room status/strategy – EME is still in the process of coordinating the dismantling of this space and the inventory. This will require tracking the inventory changes and EME is still working on setting this up. There remains a question what the future of Service Ledger is and how this application is being used in conjunction with changes in recharge/inventory management.
  • Networking proposal – Discussed life safety project and a network design based on current usage calculations done by the Network Services team. There is a surprising low level of traffic across much of the campus except for a few hotspots such as CAB, second floor library C wing. Also reviewed where (which IDF’s) 10 Gig connections would be most likely to installed since the cost for the 10 Gig transceivers is magnitudes more expensive than the lesser throughput transceivers.

Management team minutes 6-19-12

Present: Aaron, James, Jamie, Rip, Tony, Susan
Absent:Rob

Parking Services: Susie is meeting with Aaron soon to discuss technology issues in Parking Services. James & Jamie believe that this is related to a reporting tool she would like to implement called Flywriter. Background information was given on the scenario.

Retreat Planning: Aaron will look at last week’s notes and will create an initial agenda for us to review and give feedback.

Two-factor/IDM:  Aaron will contact UW to find out what they are using to see if it’s worthwhile to go visit with them to get more information on their products/systems. Management team still needs to discuss what method we want to go with as far as 2-factor authentication (token, mobile, etc).

Security Plan: The security plan is about 90% done. James is working on it.

Accreditation: The accreditation work Rip facilitated has been finished and passed on to Collin.  We will need to probably revisit this in a few months.

Media Services Server/Storage Request: This is potentially a very large system with considerable implications for impact/security on college IT infrastructure.  Important to get a clear plan from Media Services with cost, outcome, objectives, impact and risks. This should be discussed with Amy Betz and/or Michael Zimmerman. Aaron will get with Amy to add to competing Academic Project list.

ORS Phase 1 and Phase 2: Legislative request going forward and need an investment plan. Risk assessment on each individual project separately. Tony will put together the initial project plans for the OCIO and send out so the other managers can contribute. Goal is to have this complete by end of July.

OCIO IT Spend Tracking: There may be an update to the online portfolio process that will be a hosted service called Apptio. Stay tuned.

Hiring/Personnel:

  • Web Designer Position: Job to be posted this week.
  • Network Engineer: There are some applicants and the committee is moving forward.
  • Client Services ITS2: Lots of applicants.

Evaluations: Get them done and update job descriptions when needed.

Aruba Access Points: Purchased 192. Administrative Computing purchased 7 access points and wants plaques. 🙂

Space: Lots of moving around, dominoes and displacement. More people than space… We need to develop a comprehensive plan and something longer-term and maybe an open seating/cubical plan. Plan for a break room that is available and inclusive for all of C&C. Agenda item for our retreat? Consider other solution for the Training Room? Mobile cart with secure wireless available?

Management team minutes 6-8-12

Present: Aaron, Rob, James, Jamie, Rip, Susan, Tony

Reviewed departmental budgets.
The management team decided to make a year-end purchase of additional wireless access points which will be deployed during the summer. This will offset some of the wireless enhancement project expenses slated for next year.

Re-accreditation
The team discussed the re-accreditation response that Rip has been working on and identified individual areas for the directors to provide more detailed information specific to their areas.

Retreat Planning
Tasks for securing locations for the C&C management team retreat were assigned. Some possible topics and activities for the retreat were discussed.

Management team minutes 6-1-12

Present: Aaron, Rob, James, Jamie, Rip, Susan, Tony
Reviewed and Updated IT Business Resumption Plan.
This took the entire three hours.  Resultant to-do items include:
  • Contact Noel regarding RMS/Spacebook alternative strategies in case of outage event
  • Compile management team call list and submit call tree to police services
  • Ask for contact info on key business leaders outside of FAD to add to Aaron’s contact list
  • Each manager should have an emergency response folder with appropriate materials.  Jamie let it be known that she would compile these
  • Aaron will connect with colleagues at CWU and EWU to explore possible alternative locations for off-campus hosting sites in level 2/3 event.
  • Rob will update document when there is a contract to support PBX recovery services.
  • Aaron to finalize/print document

Budget review:
Sara will send out report for next week’s meeting to review end-of-year budgets.  Didn’t get to this today.

Management Team Notes 5-25-12

Present:  Jamie, Aaron, Rob, Tony, James, Rip
Absent: Susan

Budget Review – took a quick look at remaining balances.  Need to take a closer look at 341/equipment budget with Marshall.  Also need to update the Training/Equipment budget in Org 347.  Aaron will ask Sara about doing another C&C Budget report and if she can update the Org 347 spreadsheet (may need to wait for Marshall).

James will look at what it might cost to upgrade the switch for Skunkworks to an HP.  Might cost a little more but it will provide better network management.  Also Rob will look at what it might take to do fiber to Skunkworks. Continue reading

Manager meeting notes 5/18/2012

Present: Aaron, Tony, Rip, Jamie, James, Rob
Absent: Susan

IT Security Plan: Performed our annual exhaustive review and update of the college’s IT Security Plan.  James will finalize the edits/updates.  The updated document will be shared with those requiring this information as it relates to their job duties and resend to C&C management team. Continue reading

Manager meeting notes 5/11/2012

Present: Aaron, Tony, Susan, Rip, Rob
Absent: James, Jamie

All FAD Meeting:  Aaron is asking that we gather some old computing and technology equipment to display at the All FAD meeting on May 24.  If you have anything kicking around, take it to Aaron’s office and deposit it on his table. Continue reading