Component 3: Field Study

3a)

Tomales Bay

N/A we did not attend the field trip

Taylor Shellfish

Roquin: As my first time tasting oysters, I had no idea what to expect. It was amazing to taste the difference between the bays (as the oysters all started from the same hatchery). And when I had a second round, there was even a variation within the same bays while the taste characteristics stayed relatively the same. So it was remarkable to see how each oyster is truly unique not only visually, but as well in how it tastes.

Donedei Winery:

Roquin: With my second time tasting the oyster, I had the privilege of tasting it in many different forms with other elements. The taste of the ocean (raw oyster) with the land (wine); the water kissed by its’ fire mistress (cooked oyster) before resting alongside the different faces of the earth (the various sauces as well as wine); all with the air so cold, but warmed by the great company of friends.

3b)

The most memorable tasting I did was a cooked oyster with bread and butter. The oyster, tasting like the sea, was warmed by the fire as if the bay met ash. Similarly, the bread and butter of the earth met the inferno of the grill where they became one. The butter gave way to the heat and melted into the bread. Sprinkled with the Hawaiian black salt, with the warm bay oyster atop, my tastes buds celebrated. It was as if all the elements came together in harmony. For a solid minute, each chew released a new sensation. I felt the earth and sea come together and dance with fire. Eyes wide, I took in a breath of the crisp air in and then saw everyone around me. I realized in that particular moment, that it was only going to happen once; and that I felt all the senses of that place.