Reflection on the Two Books

Elise Krohn’s books are related to each other in that they are trying to spread knowledge of plants of tips for eating and growing Native plants, however Feeding the People Feeding the Spirit talks more about oral tradition and shows the plight of Indigenous foods through storytelling which is a method of teaching. Wild Rose and Western Red Cedar is mainly about plants and their properties whilst giving some background on Native science and a critique on Western Science.

I really enjoyed reading both because I learned so much on plants, and I enjoyed that someone who was non Indigenous wrote about the problems that Native peoples face and their culture in a non appropriative way and in a very respective manner. I think that it is so important as a non Indigenous to realize that you have a certain privilege and knowing how to use it in a non condescending way. I think that Elise Krohn does a good job with that and understanding that she can and did learn so much from Native culture, and how she can use her privilege to help.

In the future I think it would be fun to compare traditional stories from certain tribes regarding food as well as modern stories. It would be cool to look at how oral tradition changes through generations especially oral tradition on culture and history and food. I really enjoyed my experience with the Garden and on the readings that Caitlin Krenn and Carlin had me do.   

You may also like...