Hey W.I.S.E. folks!

Welcome back to another amazing year at Evergreen! I hope you all had an excellent summer.

As we get back into the ol’ fall routine, I just want to remind you about all the exciting things we have planned for WISE this year, including (but not limited to, of course):

– Feminism in Science forum featuring women faculty & staff members;
– Job interview & resume building workshops;
– Interesting and exciting new reads;
– Bringing speakers to campus;
– Kayaking in the Sound;
– Birding around Olympia;
– More!

Now that we’re an official Registered Student Organisation (RSO), we can get started planning events and fundraisers, and applying for funding in addition to our monthly meetings. Woohoooo!

The Student Activities fair is today, come check us out! Some fresh new faces are just what we need to get WISE kickstarted again. I made some simply designed buttons in my hurry to prep for the fair, so if you see buttons that say “decolonize science”, or other science fields, that’s us! If you want a little more info about decolonisation of the sciences, I highly recommend you read this awesome article: https://freerads.org/2017/02/28/hood-biologist-explains-how-to-decolonize-all-the-science/ I chose this design because it was quick and thought it would reach a wide audience, BUT if you have a stellar button design idea or even a W.I.S.E. logo, feel free to draft it up and we can definitely make it happen!

On a similar note, I have a big banner that needs some bedazzling! If you have an itching to do some art, the banner lives above the ChaOS cubicle and there’s lots of paints and supplies in the Student Activities office.

Also, if anyone is interested in being a sort of social media specialist, it would be great to keep our Facebook page updated and alive! (I don’t have a Facebook and thus sadly have never seen what it looks like.) A lot of people use Facebook and oftentimes it’s a more effective way to communicate than email.

Check out our new fall flyer! Everyone is welcome to print this image off and post it all around campus. c: Thanks for your continued support for this group, and I hope to see you all soon!

Best,
Tessa

PS – I plan on being a lot more involved with WISE this quarter, as I’m doing an ILC with Pauline Yu that directly relates to our mission, so I’ll be keeping y’all updated with reading material and other little tidbits that I find!