¡Hola WISE Folks!

I had an absolutely STELLAR vacation in Mexico, and I hope y’all have also enjoyed your weeks of freedom!

Thanks to everyone for attending our LAST MEETING OF FALL QUARTER! Here’s the minutes from December:

1. Assign Notetaker
2. Introductions – Name, Pronouns, Field of Study
3. Group Logistics / Planning
a. For Next Qtr. & Beyond
4. Tessa’s ILC Presentation *
5. Questions / Concerns / Other Input

* We needed to rearrange this order slightly due to people’s needs to leave early, so it kinda went like: 3a. -> 4 -> 3a.
  1. Kai’l has elected to take notes! Thanks so much!
  2. Introductions: 10 folks showed up, and it was 4 people’s first meeting! Welcome everyone, we were super glad to have you!
  3. Michael informed us about what he’d been up to last month:- We ARE in fact a registered student group, despite the temporary questioning of our status by the SA people.
    – We finally received our startup budget! Coordinators can use our budget number to purchase small, club-related things like colour copies and other supplies.
    – Turns out that receiving fund-raised money goes to a completely different account – details yet to be hashed out.
    – Our new meeting schedule will be as follows:

1ST & 3RD WEDNESDAYS OF EACH MONTH: 1 – 3 pm (Regular scheduled meeting)
    2ND & 4TH WEDNESDAYS OF EACH MONTH: 4 – 8 pm (Evening study sesh / whatever we want)

– ALSO, we have a meeting space reserved!

ALL WINTER QUARTER MEETINGS WILL BE HELD AT SEM II D2109

– Don’t worry, I’ll be repeating this information so nobody forgets.

Things I got done this month:

– I made a poster! Check it out – it has WOLVES on it!

– I have some exciting tentative ideas for our evening “study sesh” meetings, which will be kept on the DL for now as I work out the logistics.

– I’m still working on getting Academic and Career Advising to host a “Shatter Stereotypes in Job Interviews” resource workshop – that’ll probably come to fruition Winter Quarter.

– I have a connection with Stephanie Brown at YWCA, and I can ask her to come in and talk about what she does if people are interested.

– My meeting with Javier Womeldorff went great! He’s the Major Gifts Officer for the college, and is interested in setting us up with several Evergreen alumni to have events or workshops with. If you’re interested in helping organise this, don’t hesitate to contact me! I could use all the help I can get.

– I’m keeping an eye out for anyone who wants to be a coordinator next year, since I’ll be graduating – I’m 110% willing to give guidance to anyone interested!

4. I read a lot of interesting articles this month, several about gender stereotypes as a whole, and several about cuttlefish behaviour (which is my research project for this ILC) as well as a chapter from Queer Ecologies.

– In Emily Martin’s article titled The Egg and the Sperm: How Science Has Constructed a Romance Based on Stereotypical Male-Female Roles, she describes the striking phenomenon of human egg and sperm cell interaction and how it has historically been described in terms of female and male roles, in which the egg plays a passive role, and the sperm heroically and forcefully penetrates it. These descriptions, she continues, are often incredibly inaccurate. Go figure.

– A 2014 article written by Ah-King and colleagues describes how genital evolution has been studied – with a strong bias towards male reproductive organs and a notable reluctance to study female organs, a trend which has gotten worse since 2001.

– I’ve read a lot about the reproductive behaviour of cuttlefish (’cause I love them so much) and have learned a lot about the biases that exist in this research. People tend to describe their behaviour stereotypically, though there are a lot of female researchers publishing cuttlefish papers, which I found really awesome.

5. People seemed to be on board with what WISE has been doing so far, and the goals we have – which is great! I’m glad everyone is on the same page.

– I handed out some button printouts for people to cut out and make buttons at the S&A office!
    – Kai’l and Trinity are still interested in banner making! Hooray!
    – Pauline expressed an interest in hosting a “fiber arts / history / science / feminism” workshop – which would be AMAZING! More deets as this develops.
    – We’re gonna plan a summer trip! Jem is doing a bio-blitz at their dad’s property for a project and needs all the help they can get! Can’t wait to plan this.

Thanks for reading, everyone, and I can’t wait to see you all again for our FIRST MEETING OF WINTER QUARTER, which will be Wednesday, January 10th, 2018 from 1-3pm at Sem II D2019!!!

Cheers,
Tessa