Broadening Mind, Broadening Material.

Broadening Mind, Broadening Material.

‘”OK, that’s really cool, but I have to ask the boring question, Perry. Why? Why build a toast robot?”‘… “What I’ve got here are my own constraints. I’m challenging myself, using found objects and making stuff that throws all this computational capacity at, you know, these trivial  problems, like car-driving Elmo clusters and seashell toaster-robots. We have so much capacity that the trivia expands to fill.”‘

Observing what the makers of class were inventing on tinkercad was a bit like stepping into someone’s mind. Never before have I experienced a way to express  a 3D construction so literally as tinkercad allows. The fact that I could imagine  an object, and within minutes have the object represented in front of me with  exact precision blew my mind, and I could sense an excitement and playfulness  around the room. I saw people creating coins that somehow reflected  themselves, like using favorite symbols or numbers, but a question that surfaced  in discussion with the makers of the class and in Makers, is that question why  we create. Why do we put our minds, or ourselfves  into material objects. One  answer that we arrived through discussion, is humans innately want to improve themselves and the world around them by challenging themselves and exploring where the limitations of
the mind and the material may be.