In our seminar, Chico posed the question “How does the book Dark Blue Suit relate to your project even if the subject you are focusing on is not mentioned?”

• My paper is focusing on the Filipinx American experience and food
  • Food is related to home and home was talked about a lot in this book. In the story about the author driving from San Francisco to Seattle to see his Uncle Kikoy before he passed away, the mom urges him to come home and rest after at the hospital Bacho finds out that Kikoy died an hour earlier. This stuck out to me because part of what home means is a warm meal and a place to be together and safe. I think this was reflected in this sentiment.
  • The difficult conversation about the Filipino and Black community being at odds with each other when the civil rights movement was happening, took place when Bacho and his friend were sitting fishing. This is not only a connection because they are fishing and going to eat what they catch, but it’s more of a connection because they are lounging and doing an activity together and this gives the opportunity to have deep conversations.
  • Throughout Bacho’s life and illustrated in this book was his processing of what it meant for him to be Filipino American, which included assimilation that he went through in his life which are things I want to explore in my paper.
  • Peter Bacho writes beautifully and that connects to my paper because I want to write in a way that makes people feel and experience and fall in love.
  • I thought Stephie was interesting because she gave a small view into the life of a Filipina/white American functioned in this time as a mixed race woman. She expressed how she didn’t fit in within the Filipino or white community. I wonder if there was any place where she did feel like she could be herself.