Hello Kitei

Hi everyone, and welcome to my blog for the 2017 Fall Asian American Pop Culture Crosscurrents program at The Evergreen State College. I am currently a senior,  who is working on a focus of social work / psychology. I am hoping that this program will allow me to wander through some of my own past, something that I have been avoiding doing for a long time. For me, this class is going to be an interesting experience to say the least. While I have no direct family connection by blood to Asia, I know a significant portion of my culture from home – meaning the family I grew up in – was heavily influence by the time my dad spent in Korea. Dad spent a vast portion (on the scale of years) of my childhood in Korea working in the DMZ with the US Air Force. As a child I learned everything I could about the place where he was, and the war that put him there in the first place. Trying to sort out what traditions and ideas came from were has been a challenge for me, as our family not only assimilated things from Korea, but also from the other places that our friends (our surrogate family as we have never lived any were with in 1000 miles of any one we are related to) were from, such as the Philippians,Guam, and Great Britten (were I was born). By looking at Asian American pop culture, I hope to see how my experiences of feeling like an outsider, and the art that I have created because of it, relate to the Asian American experience and the art that that community has created as a result of their experiences. While I have never really been into what I consider pop culture, I also am having to expand my definition of that idea some. I have never really know what was pop culture, so in a way this will be a two fold learning experience. So here we go!