The Evolution of the Handheld Console

My Current 3DS XL

For me, the DS and 3DS has been a part of me for around 10+ years now. Heck, as of now I have a 3DS XL, awaiting for the new Pokemon game to come out for it this month, as I have done with every other Pokemon game. Handheld electronics have always been a way for me to take home with me to any place, whether a couple miles away or across the Pacific Ocean. It just makes me feel at ease and allows me to relax.

In “Playing to Wiin : Nintendo and the Video Game Industry’s Greatest Comeback” by Daniel Sloan, he covers the success of the video game industry around the world, focusing on major companies like Nintendo and Sony. The DS/3DS is also covered in this, describing how it “… was hoped to be a vehicle to carry Nintendo’s new share price to new heights and maintain its handheld dominance, although competition with its two main hardware rivals for motion control and three-dimensional bragging rights was intensifying.” It was considered the “next generation console”, the first of its kind to offer a 3DS feature without having 3DS glasses. Despite it losing millions later on, the console still is held dear to my heart and made up my childhood. In my paper, I am wanting to include this in my essay by describing when I first got the DS/3DS, though I will talk more specifically about the 3DS, since I remember very vividly how I got it.