Weekly Update

We watched Mississippi Masala this week, labeled as a romantic drama but it seemed to be much more than that. It was a relationship between African American and Indian Americans and the impacts this relationship had on their communities and families. It had a pretty dramatic impact, when their relationship was discovered, there was a fight, and it basically had a domino effect of Demetrius losing his funds from the bank, Mina almost having to go back to Uganda, people almost getting sued, it was a mess. Eventually Demetrius and Mina moved away together, probably lived happily ever after. Overall I enjoyed the movie at face value. I think it had a lot of valuable issues to learn about, issues that did and still do exist.

I felt really bad for Demetrius when he basically lost everything he had in one night. At first he blamed Mina, I imagine it was hard not to blame her, I mean it all kind of revolved around her. Even though she didn’t really do anything wrong, aside from breaking the “rules”, but to them that seemed to be worth it, considering they ran off together.