d&r dr. strange

Dr. Strange was originally an East Asian character that was later retconned to be white.  The racial history of Dr. Strange is very muddy, but it seems that biases, default standards, and pressure from the industry and audience is what shifted Dr. Strange from Asian to white.  His race was never a defining characteristic, so it was always a little ambiguous.  And when things are up in the air like that, you go with what the default or preferred choice is.

https://www.popmatters.com/doctor-strange-and-race-2631242477.html?rebelltitem=4#rebelltitem4

2 thoughts on “d&r dr. strange”

1. I don’t think that if the race/identity/culture of the character is important, then it isn’t necessarily bad if future iterations change those traits. That being said, their is always a tension that comes with changing a character to white over any other race.

2. I’ve never been into comics personally so I was pretty surprised to find out that he was originally East Asian. At least the Marvel movie shows Wong as his sidekick/friend which gives a sense of tribute to his Asian origin?