Paramore Stuck On You: Song Analysis

Stuck On You is a cover done by Paramore of the original song done by Failure. It was released on an album called The Summer Tic and also on their b sides album, which is a reference to a lyric in this song. The song is very emotional and very powerful. It is a very heavy song and touches on some heavy subjects. The song is about being stuck on some addiction, whether that is a person or substance abuse. The song goes into about how when you are addicted to something it is everywhere around you. You try to deny your addiction and feelings without realizing that they are taking over everything in your life. Here are the lyrics which I will analyze in the parenthesis.

I heard you driving in my car then in a frozen bar

(They are always thinking of this person or thing they can hear them driving their car.)

And I claimed I didn’t care for you

(Saying that they are claiming that they don’t care for someone, but they actually do.)

But your verse got trapped inside my head

(Their voice got stuck in their head and they could always hear them.)

Over and over again, you played yourself to death in me

(Hearing their voice over and over until it is driving them crazy.)

I thought I’d drop you easily but that was not to be

(The person thought that they would be able to drop the addiction easily, but they can’t.)

You burrowed like a summer tic

(This person or thing burrowed into their brain like a tic burrows into the skin in the summer.)

So you invade my sleep and confuse my dreams

(The person or thing is on their minds when they sleep and in their dreams confusing them.)

Turn my nights to sleepless itch

(This turns their nights into sleepless ones because they can’t stop thinking about this thing.)

Stuck on you till the end of time

(This obsession is going to be stuck with them for their whole life.)

I’m too tired to fight your rhyme

(This obsession has drained them of all their energy and they are too tired to fight against it.)

Stuck on you till the end of time

You’ve got me paralyzed

(This obsession has them mentally paralyzed where they can’t focus on anything else and it is taking over their life.)

Holding on the telephone, I hear your midrange moan

(Whenever they are on the phone, they can hear the other persons voice even if they are not talking to them.)

You’re everywhere inside my room

(When you are obsessed with something, everything becomes associated with them, so everything in your room becomes something that reminds yourself of a person or thing.)

Even when I’m alone I hear your mellow drone

(Even when no one is there, they can still hear this voice and it is inescapable.)

You’re everywhere inside of me

(It is all the person can think about.)

Stuck on you till the end of time

I’m too tired to fight your rhyme

Stuck on you till the end of time

You got me trapped inside

(The person is trapped inside their mind.)

I can’t escape your incessant whine

(They can’t escape their voice.)

When you beam it out all across the sky

(The thing is everywhere.)

No, I can’t escape

(They feel trapped.)

Stuck on you till the end of time

Your insipid rhyme

(Their almost hypnotic voice.)

I’m too tired to fight your rhyme

When you shoot it deep

(This can be in two ways, either literally with drugs, or all the memories associated with the person.)

Stuck on you till the end of time

Straight into my mind

(Again an illusion to drugs when the voice or memories are getting shot straight into their head.)

The first time I heard this song, it put everything into words about what I felt like at the time. I’m sure everyone has had a song speak to them and this did it for me at the time. Being stuck on something is wonderful and nightmare all at once because the one thing that brings you happiness and joy is also the same thing making your life miserable. When you are interacting with whatever it is that has become your obsession, you are relying too much on them because they become the only source of happiness you have and that is a dangerous place to be because the thing can never live up to your high expectations.

You become obsessed with something or someone and it gets stuck in your head and you are always waiting for your next interaction with the obsession and it becomes unhealthy. When the time comes to interact with the person, you are so worried about not upsetting them or saying the wrong thing and trying to always impress them that it makes you in a constant state of misery. This song does a good job capturing what you go through when you get hooked on something or someone. You do become almost paralyzed in your thoughts because the obsession is always on your mind. You have a hard time sleeping because you cannot get the addiction off your mind.

The important thing is to find something else that is meaning and fulfilling in your life to distract yourself from potentially harmful things. This song is saying that if you only have the one thing in your life that you are obsessing over, it will ruin your life. It is important to have a balance in your life and not become obsessed or depend on any one thing in your life because if you build something up so high then you will always be disappointed because it will never be able to live up to the high standards that you have placed on it. People I think become stuck on things to fill something in their live that is missing and whether it is a person or something else, they feel like it will make them happier and it never does. When you are stuck on something, you can’t move forward or progress in life so it is important to never get stuck on anything that will prevent you from moving forward with your life.

This entry was posted in To Da Max. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Paramore Stuck On You: Song Analysis

1. Almark says:

Dear God, I’m still suffering from her 4 years later after it was far from over. If I had known what this song was about, that Failure made long ago, I would have related even better, but now it comes to light. Not a Paramore fan though, Failure search led me here, and that’s a really good cover.

2. Jacob says:

this song song stuck on you is about being so obsessed or stuck on this person or idea of person. This song is about the addiction getting it having it on your mind and not having the idea or the energy to stop. love and drug are both wonderful and shitty as hell. being with or without what you believe you need is terrible and yet it is probably the only way to save.
    good writing i liked how each line had a explanation
    – Jacob H