Talking Points: Drifting House

1. A Temporary Marriage

“For three years after her ex-husband and their daughter, Yuri, disappeared to California, Mrs. Shin had designed clothes by day and sold hand printed scarves by night to save the necessary sum of money to depart Seoul and come to American.” (Page 1)

The situation told in this story sounds like a sad one with the ex-husband and having to share an apartment with a stranger.

It sounds like the conditions in Korea were difficult in the 80’s and 90’s.

“There he was in ridiculous reindeer-patterned shorts and a shirt covered with tiny coconut trees.” (Page 5).

What a sight that must have been.

“She shyly regarded her mother as if she were a distant relation.” (Page 19)

That is sad to read about.

1. At the Edge of the World

The kid sounds like a young prodigy.

I don’t know too much about shamans, I think they are like spiritual doctors.

“At night he couldn’t sleep. He considered stabbing himself with his father’s nose hair scissors, drinking laundry detergent mixed with Kool-Aid.” (Page 32)

Sounds like a suicide plan.

“There were so many stars that he wanted badly to name all the constellations out loud and impress his father.” (Page 47)

It is fun to watch the stars and being able to name all the constellations is impressive and probably would have impressed his father.

1. The Pastor’s Son

It seems like the mother is dying at the beginning of the story.

The father seems very uncomfortable during his wedding.

I feel really bad for the father because it seems everyone he loves is gone.

It’s unfortunate that the father and son had a falling out.

1. The Goose Father

“Gilho Pak denied that he was as the newspapers dubbed a goose father, one of those men who faithfully sent money to his family living overseas.” (Page 71)

I don’t understand why this would be a bad thing because I see nothing wrong with doing this or sending money to his family overseas.

I didn’t know that the goose was a disgraceful bird.

It sounds Wuseong has many different talents, but someone who is also very stressed.

“On Wednesday Wuseong still had not returned. Gilho called the police on Thursday and found himself repeating to the impatient policeman that the boy was memorable.” (Page 85)

I hope Wuseong is not dead.

1. The Salaryman

“A navy wool blend with a red silk tie from Hyundai department store that disguises your stomach’s pouch and your rural upbringing in Iksan of street markets and communal toilets.” (Page 93)

I thought Hyundai was a car brand and company, I didn’t know they also had a department store.

This workplace described sounds really depressing.

This story is being told in second person and that takes some getting used to because it has been rarely used in the books I have read.

“When you finally meet a public servant, he informs you that over two thousand people have applied for the advertised sanitation job.” (Page 99)

That is so many people applying for one position, but not uncommon. I remember applying for a position at Barns & Noble and being told that over 100 people had applied for the position.

1. Drifting House

Is this story set in North Korea?

“Escaping to China after the government stopped food rations altogether in 1997.” (Page 116)

It sounds like the government was trying to starve its own people.

This story sounds like it’s in the middle of an active warzone.

I thought the boys were going to get killed by the solider.

1. A Small Sorrow

The man in this story sounds like the man in The Joy Luck Club who was unfaithful to his wife.

I wonder if arranged marriages still occur in Korean culture.

“Seongwon began to paint the Chinese characters for her name, Silver River, on hanji paper.” (Page 132)

What is hanji paper?

“While the three men sat in lotus position on bamboo mats, Seongwon explained away his paintings as if he were teaching an art appreciation class.” (Page 138)

I think the lotus position is a yoga sitting position.

1. The Believer

“That was when Jenny saw an arm in the sink, the small hand outstretched like a mast.” (Page 148)

What a strange sight that would be to come home to.

I’m not sure what happened with the mother and the saw. Did she kill herself? Or did she kill the boy?

“The ward for the criminally insane was as sad as plastic Jesus souvenirs.” (Page 152)

I don’t imagine an insane asylum would be a place where there are a lot of happy things going on.

It sounds like the father got into a fight at the bar and lost.

1. Beautiful Woman

“His entire body is one green uniform, and underneath, his hide of hair is thick, luxurious.” (Page 168)

This sounds like an officer in the military.

“The governments swallowed up my son! Mrs. Jang shouts at the neighbors.” (Page 176)

Her son might have died in the war or been abducted by the government.

It seems like Mrs. Lim is cheating on her husband while he is away or he is dead and she is moving on to other men.

It sounds like the Vietnam War ruined families and tore them apart.

This entry was posted in Talk Story. Bookmark the permalink.