Disorientation & Reorientation Week Six

https://nypost.com/2019/05/26/nypd-actively-working-to-recruit-asian-american-women-into-force/

The New York Police Department are working on recruiting more Asian women into the police force. In their most recent academy class, Asian women only made up 3 percent of the graduating class. Unlike in America, a police officer is not something instilled to children to be when they grow up. Being a police officer is a dangerous job and takes a lot of toughness to be able to do and it’s good that the NYPD are working on recruiting more Asian women to be police officers.

“Korean-American Officer Soojin Kim, 40, who works in the NYPD’s recruitment office, says she knows first-hand the main obstacle that prevents many Asian-American women from becoming cops — “cultural background.

“As a girl growing in [an] Asian family … your parents instill in you, ‘Be a this, be a that.’ My parents never asked me [about the law enforcement] route, so I didn’t think about it,” she told the Post.”

“Her family was shocked and concerned when she finally broke the news, Kim said. It took months, she said, but she was finally able to convince them that the cop job was the right fit for her.”

This entry was posted in Mixplate. Bookmark the permalink.