Evergreen Selects Spoja as Next Volleyball Coach

OLYMPIA, Wash. – Following a nationwide search, The Evergreen State College has selected Angela Spoja as the fifth volleyball coach in school history.

Spoja joins Evergreen after a successful eight-year run at Tacoma Community College.  A three-time NWAACC Coach of the Year, she led the Titans to a record of 155-60, including undefeated marks in league in both 2007 and 2010.

“I am excited to be joining the Evergreen family,” said Spoja.  “I am anxious to start building a winning volleyball program that reflects the college and the community and I’d like to thank the administration and student-athletes for giving me this opportunity.”

A two-year letterwinner at Eastern Washington University, she also oversees operations for The Edge Volleyball Club and South Sound Volleyball Club in Tacoma, Wash.  Following her collegiate career, she was a member of the American Volleyball Professionals (AVP) from 1997-2009.

“Angela emerged from a very strong pool of applicants as the top candidate,” said Matt Newman, director of recreation and athletics.  “She positions us very well to move forward with a solid volleyball program, something our student-athletes and supporters deserve.”

The Geoducks open up Cascade Conference play on Sep. 6 when they play host to Concordia.

4 thoughts on “Evergreen Selects Spoja as Next Volleyball Coach

1. I can’t think of someone more deserving of this position than Angela! She will do amazing things for this program 🙂

2. Not only is Angela a stellar coach she is an amazing person. Congratulations, Evergreen. You may have just won the coach lottery!

3. As a former player, I am excited to see Angela build this program to reflect the greatness of Evergreen as a academic center. Cannot wait to come out and support 🙂