Susan's Field Study Journal

Susan's Field Study Journal

Week 9 Finishing up!

March 2nd, 2011 · No Comments · journal entries

I’m finishing the paintings and still working on my field journal.  This morning we had a bit of a thrill with the tsunami siren went off!!!  It turned out, thankfully, to be a drill.  Had it been a real tsunami coming, supposedly ” a cute Tahitian” would come running down the beach to tell us.  Not all that reassuring!  I think we are going to check out the tsunami evacuation route later today. 

Other than that, it’s been quiet, alternately searing sun and downpours, with just enough breeze to make it comfortable to sleep at night.  Sally Cloninger saw a moray eel in out front in the water this morning and I’m going to go try to find it later this afternoon.  I also spotted two crown of thorns star fish, which are quite venomous and difficult to kill.  If you cut them up, they regenerate from each part.  They can also be out of the water for up to 16 hours then revive if put back in.  They are a menace on the reefs because they can kill large parts of the living coral.  But they are interesting to watch.  The information I read also noted that they can travel up to 20 miles an hour!  Who would have thought!

Here’s one of the paintings I finished yesterday. 

Take care,

Susan

Tags:

No Comments so far ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.