Reading Reflection #3

I started reading Kitchen Culture in America (Inness 2000) and so far I really like reading this book. I love that all the information really does represent food, gender, race, and some history along with it!

I never knew candy had so much history behind it and that it played such a huge role in women’s lives rather than men’s lives. Candy eating was initially viewed as a feminine activity and “everything from low levels of endorphins and estrogen after ovulation to “premenstrual mood changes such as irritability, impulsive behavior, and anger” (14) have been cited by Jane Dusselier as reasons why women crave candy.”

After reading that, made me wonder how true that really is? Is that really the reason why we women crave candy, or is it because it just tastes so good? Between 1910 and 1920 eating candy had been transformed into an activity that expressed both genders. For men, candy was advertised as an enhancer to their strength and endurance, but for women it was advertised as elegant and pure, almost “angel like.”. In fact, the U.S. War Department commissioned one New York firm alone to ship fifty tons of candy to Spanish-American War battle fields in hopes to improve the endurance and health of American soldiers.

After reading chapter two in this book, “Campbell’s soup and the long shelf lifeof traditional gender roles” (Parkin),-  I was amazed at all the things food companies advertised and how people fell prey to the advertisements, especially  women. When women would cook for their families it was an activity emblematic of women’s love. Food advertising is one of the reasons why traditional ideals about food preparation and consumption generally prevailed in society. The Joseph Campbell Company began making canned soups in the 1890s and was one of the earliest believers in the powers of advertising. When women first started helping their husbands provide for the family they really started believing the advertisements.  One 1936 Campbell’s soup ad “Wife Beaters.” implied that women could be in danger if their husbands were dissatisfied with the food.

This book is written in an easy style that promotes an easy read. Each chapter is centered on one specific topic, which is great. I’m looking forward to my continued read, and expanding my knowledge concerning kitchen culture and gender roles.