Tasting Lab Week 7

1) Tasting Lab, Lunch: Week 7

2) Students: Jessica Herrera, salad by Kat Thompson, sourcing help from Kotomi Yamamura.

3) Materials and Methods (ingredients and recipes):

-Posole:

Put posole in crockpot. Cover with water or stock. Add onion, garlic, chile pods. I used oregano, cumin and salt & pepper as seasonings.  Cook on low over night. Can also by cooked on stovetop. Usually made with pork.

Serve with red/green chile and tortillas. Garnish with cilantro, cheese and lime.

The lucky peach article on nixtamalization can be found here.

-Salad: spinach, kale, wood sorrel, chives, Oregon grape flowers, oregano, rosemary, olive oil & liquid aminos.

-Rice

4) Questions in relation to assigned text, or “Inquiry for Critical Eating Studies, or The Mouth as Organ of Eating and Speaking”:

“Taking the teaching of permaculture that states ‘the problem is the solution’…” (Deetz 2016:3)

– What is the importance in knowing the birthplace/history of your foods? How does knowing this change your perception of them, if at all?

“ I used to feed people on the side too. Like Stella says, ‘It aint nothing but some food.’ I don’t understand how we can live in the richest country in the world and still have so many hungry people. I don’t ever have no money to lend, but I can’t refuse to give food away.” (Smart-Grosvenor 95)

– As you eat, reflect on how food forms connections.  

“The minute I stepped into her apartment I knew something was wrong. No smells of food cooking or having been cooked. The kitchen was spotless. My daddy always told me that you had to watch those people who never dirtied the kitchen. He said that if they don’t make a mess in the kitchen they aint cooking nothing fit to eat.” (Smart-Grosvenor 100)

– Do you have a specific comfort food? Is there a specific memory associated? What is comfort food?

5) Seminar Facilitation: Process, Focus, and Activities:

–       Everyone share a thought related to the tasting lab questions.

–       Open discussion – try to tie back to readings.

–       Small group discussions on theme between assigned texts.

Be First to Comment