browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Ideas: My Mind – Homesickness

Posted by on March 8, 2015

My Mind – Homesickness

I feel like I should be writing about how my feelings have changed since I have been in Nepal or just what I think of Nepal so far, but when I think about ideas, I think about what is on my mind… Homesickness is the one thing that has been on my mind for a while now.

Even though we have been constantly traveling from city to city, I am getting a fulfilling experience being in this unique country. My parents have taught me to respect and learn about different cultures and other peoples way of life. I cannot help but believe that they didn’t even need to tell me that at a young age when I know my stirring desire and passion for travel comes from my mom and late grandfather. The fact I have been able to travel with such an amazing group of peers and do more than just sight see the country gives me so much joy. I am enjoying my scheduled time here as it is soon coming to an end but others can agree with me that their first time being away from home for more than a week has not been easy at all and we’re anxious as ever to get home.

Little things like my observations of the amount of dogs roaming the streets without an owner, family or home makes me miss my sweet, one year old puppy. The tastes of our Nepalese meals remind me of the graceful preparation my mom spends making an Indian dish. Just being away from those who care the most about you, whom I have grown attached to, will always make things like this harder for me. I still don’t know how I am going to face being away for almost three months for basic training and tech school for the military after I graduate high school!

I have realized more of my strengths and weaknesses within taking care of myself, being responsible and independent, hiking a huge hill nearly falling off a cliff with a bag weighting me down, focusing on detail, memorization, etc. All of the above along with the activities we have been doing here will definitely benefit me in my future, because I know that every opportunity as special as this will be of use to me someday at some point in my life.

I have survived it all so far and am making it without the direct support of my loved ones, but I have realized before that they will not always be there, so I have been toughing out the hard parts.

I am sad we did not get to spend much time with the WPPC (Women’s Protection and Prevention Center), as expected, and it being the focal point of our trip, but things happen.

Nonetheless, I am excited to see my number one loved ones very soon.

-Asha Richardson