Final Evaluation

My summer Student Originated Studies entitled Urban Futures Farm: Farm Practicum & Compost System Internship took many twists and turns. What started out as an integrated contract, half internship half compost research became in totality an internship. I realized half way through the quarter that I would not be able to fully engage in my research on the successful composting of Plasmodiophora brassicae in small-scale compost systems.

I had taken on too much this summer and my motivation and stamina for such work significantly decreased. This was a big learning moment for me. To fully engage in my academic life I must make sure I have a concrete plan in mind and also give myself enough breaks and breathing moments to be able to look at my path and decide what the next best steps are. I had taken on something too big to chew, but through the process learned a lot about my personal needs.

While the research did not go as planned, the internship component of my SOS was incredibly worthwhile. I helped TJ Johnson of Urban Futures Farm 10 hours a week with general farm practicum as well as the construction of a composting system onsite. A typical day included harvesting of produce for the weekly CSA, weeding out beds, cover cropping and getting ready for the off-season, and creating layers of compost in the new and improved system. I am most proud of my help with his new compost tea routine and the recipe decided upon. We have already seen improvements on the plants that have been sprayed and I look forward to seeing more improvement in the future.

I also took part in a workshop on Soil Health on the farm and talked about the composting system and how composting works. It was neat to step into a role I seldom find myself in: teaching others a great passion of mine. I intend to pursue this feeling and hopefully facilitate more workshops and learning moments in the future.

For a downloadable link of this evaluation, click the link below…

SOS Evaluation