BR3 – Seeing the Invisible

Can a 3D printed object be responsive to its environment and to the dynamic energies of the people and processes that interact with it?”

Chuck Pettis challenged Sarah to have her students discover their project idea in the midst of the Earth Sanctuarys’ Callanish Stone Circle. As I sat there staring at the copper wire tree so beautifully sculpted and placed in the center of the offering circle, I wondered what my project would be. It wasn’t until I left the circle and reflected back on my observations that I decided to print a tree. Inspired by the possibilities of 3D printing by our guide Bryns’ shell bracelet, I wanted to make something that had movement and responded to it’s environment.

mytree
Hatam, Katie. An Island Tree. Olympia, Lake Lois Habitat Reserve. 2014. Photograph.

As I pondered how to make the 3D printed tree come alive, I began to research magnetic and conductive filaments. That research led me to two distinct places: the discovery of ferrofluid; and the discovery of vector equilibriums and torus shaped energy fields. As my project unfolded before me, I found myself wondering why I was even following this path. I had no prior knowledge of any of the things I was going to incorporate into my project, or even how or whether the final project was going to work.

I’m attempting to make a 3D printed object that will display the, usually invisible, magnetic field inside a snow globe like display. A colleague recently restated my theory somewhat more provocatively: I want to make the invisible, visible.

magneticsnowglobe
Hatam, Katie. The Magnetic Snow Globe. Olympia, The Evergreen State College. 2014. Drawing.

Ferrofluid is a combination of some type of magnetic nano-particles and a viscous fluid. Alone, it looks like a pool of oil. However, when placed within a magnetic field it will take on the shape of the magnetic field lines. When the ferrofluid is placed in water, it seems to float through the space.

Ferrofluid in a Bottle. Vat19. (n.d). Web. 17 Nov. 2014.

In my research, I discovered others who were interested in creating interactive ferrofluid displays. Both the Fluxx LiquiMetal and Ferrocious sculptures allow the user to manipulate the ferrofluid using a hand held magnet.

However, neither of these displays demonstrate what I hope my project will: the usually invisible field lines of a magnetic field.

The 3D printed portion of my project will be the clear sphere within which the magnetic field will navigate and which will hold a combination of water and ferrofluid. Magnets will be placed in both the top and bottom caps of the double sided globe to create the magnetic field.

Hatam, Katie. Double Sided Snow Globe. 2014. TinkerCad. Web. 17 Nov. 2014.

The theory is that the ferrofluid will float through the water along the field lines of the magnetic field created by the embedded magnets and create a magnetic snow globe much like you see in this mock prototype.

Cap: Anna Marynenko. White jar with silver cap isolated in white. n.d. Shutterstock. Web. 17 Nov. 2014. Globe: Paulmann. Paulmann Lighting 87000 2-6/16″ Glass Globe Deco Cover, Clear. n.d. Plumbersurplus. Web. 17 Nov. 2014. Torus Particles: Autodesk Help. Adjusting the velocity of moving particles. 2009. Autodesk. Web. 17 Nov. 2014.

4 thoughts on “BR3 – Seeing the Invisible

1. Katie, your idea is so ambitious it scares me. I didn’t know you started out thinking about trees, and its amazing to see how your project evolved from something so natural to something so strange and seemingly unnatural. That brings up the question of how natural or unnatural are these ferrofluids and magnetic fields? Your images certainly evoke a sci-fi futuristic feel, but magnetic fields are present in nature. I think that would be an interesting area to explore.
    The other part that really stuck out to me was the statement of your idea as “making the invisible, visible.” That immediately made me think of Tinkercad. We use all of these “holes” to carve our shapes, and then we group them and they vanish. The parts are still there, but we don’t see them. Sometimes when Tinkercad is running slowly we do get a peak at these invisible parts, which often can completely obscure the actual object. These invisible parts are what create the visible model. I’m not sure where I’m going with this but I thought it was an interesting connection and that I would share it.

2. Hey Katie, as others have commented I also love the idea of making the “invisible visible.” What does manifesting a scientific concept such as magnetism into a real, physical, viewable diagram achieve? Interest in science, greater understanding of the machinations of the universe, awe, wonder. Also, what does it mean that your model is a tree? In my mind a tree is a micro-system of the universe. Trees draw energy from the environment, transmuting it into different forms, aiding the lifeforms around them in mutual harmony. What do trees and magnetism have in common? I don’t know but there is certainly something, something intangible that I can’t quite pin down. Perhaps the reach of both extending out into the heavens and down into the earth, linking together their environment. What do you think and how do you see the trees and magnetism relating?

3. Hey Katie. What a cool idea! I like the idea of making something invisible, physical. I can only assume that it will be a good challenge! Do you think you could have this ready when we present in a couple weeks? I’m also interested in what motivates you on the subject, but perhaps I could read back a little and find out. Unique, fascinating, good luck! I’m looking forward to seeing it in action!
    Cooper

4. Katie, I am so excited for the evolution of this work you have been doing! I feel that the path (!!) you have walked from that day sitting in the stone circle to the current moment has been so progressive. The snow-globe idea is so unique and wonderful. I feel like what will be represented inside the magnetic field will also be very tree-like. It seems that it will shift and move and be a product of its essence being drawn outward, like a plant by the sun. The snowglobe metaphor is so huge, as it will also embody what surrounds every living thing and the entire planet we inhabit.