Wanting What You Get

Hello, it’s me! No, it’s not Adele, it’s me!

I don’t know about you, but I’m really, really, really glad the whole winter holiday season is over. Whether you are into Christmas, Kwanza, Festivus, Hanukkah, or none of those things, it is over for another year! On with everyday life!

At the same time I wonder about what I’ve succeeded with in this past year. What I really wanted a year ago was a new job. Six months ago from this week I started a new job working here at Evergreen. I recently read a quote credited to novelist W.P. Kinsella that is poignant and timely for me. Here it is: “Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get.” I Googled this quote and Dale Carnegie is also credited with it. Donald Trump will probably claim it is his, so who knows which one is due credit, but I still like it.

On the Lecture Hall project yesterday we had some more concrete work continuing the infill of openings in existing concrete walls. On the attached photo you can see we really tested the limits of the concrete pumper. The arm of the truck is stretched out over 75-feet to get the concrete to an infill wall at what will be Lecture Hall 2. I took this panoramic shot with my phone, the steel beams and decking in the foreground appear to be bent; they are not.pumper

Next week the concrete saw cutters will be back cutting away the buttresses in Lecture Hall 1 so the the expansion of that space may take place. I’ve heard some complaints regarding the metal deck guys and their noisy hammering. The good news (as I see it) is the saw cutting noise will probably drown out that darn hammering noise. We will also start to see the installation of new steel beams for the new rotunda area. Metal floor decking installation will continue. Placement of footings for the building addition facing Red Square will begin.

That’s it for now. Happy New Year!
Tim