I can’t believe what I saw on Tuesday

Hello all and happy Friday. Hopefully you are all doing well after celebrating Cinco de Mayo aka: Battle of Puebla Day in Mexico. I personally feel like I need to have a liposuction procedure ASAP after consuming a bunch of yummy nachos last night.

It has been a very interesting week on the Lecture Hall job site. On Tuesday a large flatbed truck had just delivered another load of glulam beams to our project. While attempting to leave our campus and driving up the ramp to the McCann Plaza bus loop / driveway, the driver made not one but two mistakes. He simultaneously ran over the metal hand rail at the ramp and also over an irrigation device on the other side of the ramp, which in turn broke the irrigation line and caused a sudden geyser near the entrance to Red Square; photo attached. I was actually there when it happened and it was definitely a “I can’t believe what I’m seeing” moment. Luckily I was able to contact our Grounds Supervisor on his cell phone and notify him immediately of the situation before Red Square became a new campus water feature. There is never a dull moment at Evergreen.IMG_1206

I had mixed feelings that day; I didn’t know whether to laugh at that situation or to give the truck driver a hug since he looked so dejected. Anyway, that situation made me think of the following quote: “Mistakes are a great educator when one is honest enough to admit them and willing to learn from them” – Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

We will have the usual activities on site again next week. More glulam beams and wood decking will be installed, followed by roofing work, electrical work, and wall framing. There will be no more driving over hand rails or creating simulations of Old Faithful.

Also attached for your viewing pleasure are two roof top progress photos, one from April 25 and one from yesterday.

4-25 r

5-5 r

Have a great weekend, and happy Mother’s Day to all those moms out there!

Cheers,

Tim

Timothy Byrne

Project Manager

Facilities Services

The Evergreen State College

360-867-6093

One thought on “I can’t believe what I saw on Tuesday