Hoh Rainforest with Dirty Hands and TOP

This weekend I had the privilege of going on a trip with the Dirty Hands art collective and TOP from TESC. I had a wonderful time with the two groups on the joint student activities trip.

After the drive to the trail-head we reached the Hoh Rainforest Ranger Station. This is where we set off on our adventure. The snow was falling and it was wet. The snow also added a touch of beauty that fair weather campers might never get to see. We braved the cold and the snow to hike 5 miles into the rainforest  We set up camp at 5 mile island. This would be our “Home” for the night. The cold and wet really get to you when you stop moving.

After setting up camp the amazing TOP staff prepared us an amazing meal of tortellini and vegetables. This was by far the best camp food I have ever had so I thank the people at TOP for that. They set up an incredible space right along the river where they could cook food sheltered from the elements with one of the most spectacular views you could ask for. An open air, waterfront kitchen. A true example of a domestic space.

Unfortunately for my film making the cold was also taking its toll on Faith my service dog. I took her to our tent and her in my extra layers to get her dry and keep her warm. I also turned in early so I could stay snuggled up next to her.

The next morning we awoke to SUNSHINE and were able to break out the good non waterproof camera to get some good footage and shoot some interviews. It amazes me how much peoples need to be outdoors drives them and how similar everyone’s reason to spend a night in the pouring down rain and snow in order to be outside. I would say with weather like this it was more the people than the equipment that converted the wilderness to a true domestic space. The footage turned out stunning and I can’t wait to get in and edit it.

All in all a great trip with some great people and nothing but good stories to tell!

3 thoughts on “Hoh Rainforest with Dirty Hands and TOP

1. I’m so impressed with how you have really immersed yourself in this project, and are having fun while doing it! You have some great photos, I can’t wait to see more from you.

2. You have a very nicely maintained site! The entries present a writing voice that gives authenticity to the descriptions of the outdoor action. Links to source material are conscious of educating the reader. I appreciate the mindful references to domestic space: the “Home” in the Hoh, and the “waterfront kitchen.” Eating outside also embraces a home atmosphere; and I see that a wilderness camping meal can be as “amazing” as one served in a gourmet restaurant (only better, you’d say). The additional information about Faith and the children underscores the home focus of your project: home as a social space that accommodates family and companions. I love the photo of the “cameraman on the hill.”

• Thanks the “Cameraman” is actually a little behind the scenes photo of me! Thats what it looks like to do work and get dirty.