Interview with a Photographer

IMG_6051a>

Change

If there is one thing that I took away from the interview I had the other day with Bradley Castaneda, in the lower rainforest of Mount Rainier National Park, it is change. I sought out an interview with Bradley to show the outdoors as a space of creativity and inspiration. Through the hike we talked about many things from eating right to family. But the inspiration that I received from him was the way he used the outdoors to get in shape.  To better himself.

I think that people only think of fitness as running or hitting the gym, but that is not everyone’s cup of tea. To me the gym can be a turn off. Running down the street can make you feel like everyone who drives by is staring at you. Often times there is little to no “pay-off” to a run around your neighborhood.

There are so many advantages to the outdoors as a “fitness space”. Hiking is incredible exercise for people of all fitness levels. Selecting a hike that is right for you and doing it can be much better than just walking alone. Add to that a backpack with weight and you amp up your workout. There are also other things you can do.

A new trend that is getting going, that may not be a new concept, is trail running. Take your normal around the block run, add in some hill climbs and obstacles and you have a better workout. You can also trail run to some amazing vistas where you get something for your run.

This concept of hiking, backpacking, and climbing as fitness is not something that Bradley introduced me to. For me this is something that I have personally been trying to do. But listening to his commitment to his craft and to his sport lit a fire inside of me.

Back to the interview. Bradley is an amazing outdoor photographer who I had originally met when we went to high school together. His photos are something that can transport a person from your couch to the places that he has been. You can check out his Instagram if you want to see more of his work. Also check out the film for the actual interview.

The photos below are some of his work. If you would like to see more check out his website.

3 thoughts on “Interview with a Photographer

1. Your friend’s photography is phenomenal, Im totally blown away at his eye for color and composition! Any relation to Carlos Castaneda?

2. Hi Anthony,
    Lovely post.
    Your friends photographs are beautiful.
    I love walking my dog in the woods. Since we moved I have been walking a trail in the woods near my house and found out that we could enter the Capitol forest via that trail. I won’t go that far up the trail with Larry because he is 15 years old but we walk the lower trail and it is so nice and relaxing. There are some nice inclines that give both of us a little work out too. Kayaking is where I can get lost in the beauty of the outdoors. I love to explore the edges of lakes or slow rivers and take pictures. It changes my mood and my perspective. It reminds me that the world is big and not about me at all. Have you have talked about protection/self defense with folks. Do people carry firearms or bear spray?

3. Hey Anthony I enjoyed your discussion about how outdoor exercise can be more beneficial than the traditional “hit the gym” style. I agree with you in it because back when I was in high school returning home was my favorite part of the day because I would Parkour the back streets or the little section of forest behind the corner store where I use to live to get home. And I can justify that its actually more of a work out than the regular form of working out.