If state revenues continue to decline, as witnessed in June and July and expected in September, Governor Gregoire will ask agencies to trim their budgets further.
This afternoon Marty Brown, Director of the Office of Financial Management, sent a memo to all state agencies asking each agency to prepare for possible cutbacks by submitting 5% first-priority reductions and a second 5% for a total of 10% in state funding reduction options as part of the agency’s 2012 supplemental budget request. The request does make exceptions for basic education, pensions, and debt service.
The impact to Evergreen of a 5% reduction of state funds would be a reduction of $1.545 million (a 1.5% reduction to total funds) and a 10% reduction of state funds would be a reduction of $3.89 million (a 3% reduction to total funds).
Recognizing the difficulty of this task given the limited amount of time that has passed since the passage of the 2011-13 budget, the memo encouraged agencies to revisit essential service assessments compiled last year and budget reductions included in the Governor’s 2011-13 biennial budget but were not enacted by the Legislature. In addition, the memo suggests additional consideration be given to new or additional policy choices and structural or business process changes that allow improved efficiencies and reduce state funding expenditures. Finally capital-budget proposals should be limited to technical corrections, emergency issues, or return of project savings.