Interview with an Art Collector

Here I interviewed George Meyer, an art collector and ex writer for “The Simpons” on ways that the art hanging in his domestic space affects him. For his entire life George has been a lover of all art forms including music and and all things pop culture, and now lives not more than a five minute walk from The Seattle Art Museum, where he often visits with his wife and daughter.

Q and A:

Q. How does having art in your home affect you?

A. The art is a subtle daily reflection of my values. It can be comforting or challenging, depending on my frame of mind. The work also evokes vanished years, especially their joys and struggles.
Q. What sort of moods or feelings do you get from the colors in your domestic space?
A. My art tends toward splashy, vivid colors; the bright hues lift my spirits on crummy Seattle days. When I’m feeling precarious or besieged, the colors can seem jangly and garish… particularly orange for some reason. But usually art feels like a loyal friend. The paintings in my bedroom have a subdued palette… I don’t want them keeping me awake!
Q. When you start collecting art and why?
A. I think the first original piece I bought was at Comic-Con in San Diego… maybe around 1991. It was a Dan Clowes page from “Eightball.” I didn’t mean to become a collector, I just admired Dan’s work and finally could afford something. I later branched out to Adrian Tomine, Dennis Worden, Ivan Brunetti, Robert Williams, the Clayton Bros., Tara McPherson, Lari Pittman, and others.
(Shown bellow are some pieces from George Meyer’s collection)
I’m usually drawn to idiosyncratic, singular artists. They often become friends — at least Christmas card friends — and their faces swim into my mind when I look at their creations.
Part of the collecting impulse is a desire to throw in my lot with brave souls who are taking risks and exposing their deepest yearnings.

2 thoughts on “Interview with an Art Collector

1. Nice! Thank you for the glimpse into a collectors mind. I like that Meyer collects graphic art. The Clayton Brothers piece is cool. It reminds me of one of my favorite artists Joe Coleman. http://www.joecoleman.com/publications/contributions
    How cool. I have heard people say that once they were able to afford a piece they like, it’s like tattoos and potato chips, ya just cannot stop at one.

2. I love that Clayton Brothers piece. Seems like a really cool collector, looks like he has a pretty similar taste in art to myself. I agree with the happiness felt by being surrounded by vibrant colors all the time, it really does change your mood.

Good questions too, glad you got to ask them!