First Week at TC Media

As of today, I have officially been an intern at Thurston Community Media for one week! My week began, after some brief discussion on scheduling, with a head first jump into the action. First I worked as a camera operator and floor director for PSA day, where folks from local non-profits come in to record PSAs for their organizations. Then I headed to the Thurston County Council meeting, before working the Oly city council meeting. On Thursday I returned for a camera training and my first staff meeting. And finally on Saturday I went to the Thurston County Emergency Preparedness expo to record a panel discussion and shoot some footage of the vendors and government agencies educating the public on emergency preparedness.

Some parts, especially the expo, were honest quite boring and confusing. At the expo, I just held the wide shot on the panel discussion for most of the time. And I was shooting footage for a PSA which I didn’t know anything about. Luckily, I think I managed to shoot the right stuff (with Kate’s help of course). But overall, I had a fantastic time. There’s nothing quite like diving head first into a new experience, and that’s what they did with me at TCM. No lengthy trainings or orientations, just start going. And that’s what I’m here to do. Get hands-on experience producing television, and supporting a community media organization. It’s been a blast so far, and I’m looking forward to the rest of the quarter.