Final 2 weeks at Thurston Community Media!

During my last 2 weeks at Thurston Community Media, I got to work on a few big projects and build on my skills acquired throughout the quarter.

I started week 9 by working on the Downtown for Holidays Parade shoot. We shot as a mobile studio crew with a mini control room and 3 cameras based in a room in the Governor’s Hotel which had roof access so we could get a good view for the shoot. I operated camera during the shoot, taking directions by headset and getting snapshots of happy faces in the crowd between floats. I also worked on the whole set up process.

For the rest of the week, I spent more time working with Final Cut Pro X while creating a station ID from previously recorded footage, worked at the 2 usual government meetings, attended a staff meeting, and had a meeting with Robert and Susan to talk about my evaluation.

In week 10 I began by working on a special Thurston County Budget public hearing. It was my first time working on a county meeting with just one other person, normally there are three of us. This meant that I had to run the CG station and audio at the same time, a challenge, but one I could handle. I came in the next day to work the 2 regular government meetings (Thurston County Council and Oly City Council). At Oly, it was just Martha and Myself so I worked as the robotic camera operator and sound operator at the same time. Finally, for my last day I came in and put together a short station promo from behind-the-scenes footage we had lying around and had a final meeting with Susan and Robert. They got a cake for me! I’m excited and honored to intern there again next quarter.