One of my favorite places to hang out on campus proper is Photoland (located on the lower level of the Library building), home to all things photography at Evergreen. I took a Night/Weekend 4-credit course Fall 2017 that was basically an introduction to black and white film photography. Basically I took this course because I’ve always wanted to learn how to develop film but never could really fit it into a program here at Evergreen, so I decided to do it at night while also taking a regular 16 credit program during the day. The really cool thing about Photoland, though, is that you don’t even have to be in a program to utilize the space. It operates on the Proficiency System, meaning as long as you are proficient in whatever it is you want to be doing (i.e. developing/processing black and white or color film, using Photoshop, etc.), you are able to use the spaces and equipment to do that. What proficient means at Evergreen is you are shown by a lab aid or faculty member how to properly use the space and equipment and pass a short quiz on that information. Pretty simple! I really enjoy having in-depth and hands-on teaching as well as critique of my work which is why I opted for the 4 credit course, but that’s not necessary if you just want to go in one day, learn about the space and equipment, and pass the quiz. You then are able to use the space for academic or personal projects.

I’ve been taking photos on film for a while, but never had to opportunity to actually process or develop my own pictures and it’s a really cool process. At the previous school I went to, I was a studio art major with an emphasis on process, meaning the process of making art is more interesting to me than the final product. Film photography, when you are actually doing all of the steps yourself, is so process oriented. I really loved the chance to step outside of my comfort zone and try something totally new for me.

Film developed by Allie at Photoland

What does Photoland have to offer?

• Black and White Darkroom
  • Color Darkroom (one of the last color darkrooms open to the public in the PNW!)
  • Studio space for taking staged photos (equipped with lighting)
  • Digital Imaging Studio (a computer lab equipped with Adobe Photoshop for digital editing, 2 large Epson printers, and scanning equipment)
  • Small-scale photography store (sells film and paper to student for wholesale price)
  • Opportunities for employment (work in the photography store or as a lab aid)

In addition, our Media Loan Services Department (also located in the Library building) has all of the equipment you could ever need to actually take the photos. They have over 4,000 pieces of equipment for students to check-out, including film and digital cameras, tripods, cable releases, lighting equipment, projectors, etc. As long as you turn it in on time and its undamaged, this service is totally free to students. When I took my course, I was actually able to check out a camera for the entire quarter.