Before this trip I had only ever tasted Cavendish bananas. Luckily at Wildane there are six varieties: Apple, Java Blue, Red, Kru, Niño, and the infamous Cavendish. Luckily, this week I was able to harvest a bunch of apple bananas and a bunch of Cavendish so I decided to do a tasting comparison. As the other varieties of bananas ripen (and as I visit farms with other varieties) I will continue to do tasting comparisons.

Cavendish Banana Apple Banana
Appearance curved shaped, slimmer but longer straight and stubby, shorter, but thicker
Smell “classic” banana smell floral, almost apple-like smell
Taste dull, consistently sweet bright, almost acidic, sweet with a balanced tanginess; citrusy notes
Texture soft and mushy mouthfeel much firmer flesh
Other notes yellow flesh, thick skin white flesh, thin/fragile skin

Cavendish banana (left) and apple banana (right). You can see that the Cavendish has a thicker skin and more yellow flesh, while the apple banana has a thinner skin and white flesh.

Cavendish banana (left) alongside apple banana (right). Both are held at the same height. You can tell that the Cavendish longer and more curved while the apple banana is short and stout.