Component 3: Field Study

Name Favorite Insight Where you hear it
Kjerstyn Lindgren Oysters filter up to 50 gallons of water each day. Taylor Shellfish
 Savannah Moffett  The shell of a geoduck will never close, no matter what they can fit completely inside. Donedei Winery, Geoduck tasting
 Andrew Su  Oysters are are grown in a bag that affects the size of the oyster shell as well as the thickness of the oyster meat.  Tomales Bay

Favorite thing tasted:

Tasting the Sea- By Kjerstyn Lindgren

When starting the case study on oysters I didn’t like them. I thought they were slimy, salty, and not appetizing in the slightest. I was always reluctant to taste them. However, when we were at Donedei Winery something changed. As I sat there with a glass of wine, the sun shining on us, and the sounds of enjoyed from my classmates. I tried, and enjoyed,  a Kumamoto Oyster. The oysters was buttery in flavor, slightly salty, and tender. While, chewing the oyster I took a sip of the white wine and immently the oyster became sweeter. The rest of the day I enjoyed every oyster I tasted.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwjR1aCUpJbLAhWJMGMKHfhLB_AQjB0IBg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fcityfoodsters%2F9863126624&bvm=bv.115339255,d.cGc&psig=AFQjCNHwnp12qTgcre01g4ksmRhpclEM2A&ust=1456605353833742

Its a candle lit restaurant, the only lights are tear drop flames that sit on each table and the slight reflection of amber light on each persons face. A waiter dressed in black and white makes his way to our table bringing small glasses that reek of the oceanic aromas and a lemon wheel on the rim. The shooter is 1/3 filled with a red smokey chipotle sauce that smells like fire, a whole raw pacific oyster, and finished with a lemon wheel. I look at the glass, hesitant if I’m going to shoot it down my throat, my last encounter with an oyster didn’t end well I don’t do well with gooey textures. But the scent of the sea and the freshness of the lemon capture my senses. I grab the glass and bring it toward my face. I squeeze as much lemon juice from the wheel that I can. I raise the glass and bring it to my lips, I slightly shake so the oyster slips into my mouth smoothly. My tastebuds explode with flavors of smokey chipotle and cilantro. The hot smokey flavor pairs with the oyster so well, I can even detect the slightest hint of lemon, its so savory I can blank out the texture, I chew it. I swallowed the oyster, enjoying every little bite.

Coming into this program I knew I already enjoyed the texture and flavor of a raw oyster. I loved the complex flavors and the briny, and oddly slimy taste of an oyster straight out of the shell. However, this program allowed me to savor a variety of oysters in a variety of ways. The most memorable tasting was done at Donedei Winery. The tasting at this winery provided me the opportunity to savor raw, baked, and grilled oysters. Savoring a grilled oyster on the lightly charred half shell with a spritz of lemon was an experience I will always cherish.

-Andrew Su

Business of Oysters by Kjerstyn Lindgren

Water is an essential part of life, so naturally humans have gravitated toward places where water is found. Fishing going hand in hand with having a body of water near by. Native American’s have fished and collected oysters for centuries, even long before the spaniards arrived in North America. Natives Americans rapidly harvested oysters, while lead to a decline in population. Oysters discovered in North America by the spaniards were highly valued and sought out, almost as much as gold, due to the pearls that form inside. Spaniards were the first ones to introduce North American oyster to the Europe nations. This introduction skyrocketed the oyster market, especially in France. The french, although growing  their own oysters on the coast, took a liking to the Pacific Oyster. France is now the leading consumer in oysters.  

Oyster isn’t a specific term, but a broad term with many types lying under it. What comes to your mind when you hear oyster? Do you think of your favorite bay? Does the word  rockefeller pop up? Do you think of the slimy and boogery texture? Each person has a different experience with oysters. These experiences lead a consumer to find the oyster that suit their flavor preferences. Most consumers look at which bay the oyster is grown in. Oysters can only be named after the bay if they are actually grown there. The same species of oyster grown in different bays can have huge differences in flavor. While tasting at Taylor Shellfish Farms I tried three Pacific Oysters from three different bays. The bays started in the south part of Puget Sound and moved slightly north. As the bay’s got closer to ocean they were saltier and had more brine.

You may also like...